Muriatic acid rust eliminator

wristpin

Well Known Member
Thought id get a little sciency with muriatic acid so i have a rusty battery tray from the el camino.
One gallon of water to 50mL (2.5oz) gave 1.13pH. To low in my opinion. So i reduced it to one gallon to 1oz acid. That gave me a pH of 2.5. Me likey.
Ill post pics and time it takes to get to a stage. I will neutralize it with TSP (trisodiumphosphate). Both chemicals can be found at most hardeware stores and Walmart.

Attachments

• 0104200616.jpg
    0104200616.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 0104200615a.jpg
    0104200615a.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 41

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
What year elky you have wristpin? Some parts like that i just sand blast or glass bead, then like that tray i would por 15 in black. Never rust again.

bobs409

Administrator
I use Phosphoric acid myself. I buy "Prep-n-etch" found at home depot as concrete etch. Mix it 50/50 with water and you're good to go. Stuff last a very long time (do not put greasy parts in)

I recently discovered it's great for removing mill scale from steel parts. Very useful when tig welding.

I'd advise against putting very thin items in like tiny springs, etc as it will probably just eat them. :D Also, badly rusted thin items can come out with pin holes. Ashtrays are a bugger for that!

wristpin

Well Known Member
Its my neices '67 El Camino. Only parts i havent replaced are cab and doors. I could have sandblasted it but wanted to experiment. Ill get it powdercoated after its cleaned. I'll weld in any pin holes. Powder coat isnt affected by sulfuric acid so it wont every get shitted up again.
Phosphoric acid is good to use if there is zinc or brass based metal

wristpin

Well Known Member
It does work. Pepsi works very well too. Need to neutralize and coat metal after any kind of rust abatement.

Clint

Well Known Member
I made a tank and soaked my pick up cab in it for about two weeks... came out beautiful after power wash... works better in warm weather

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I made a tank and soaked my pick up cab in it for about two weeks... came out beautiful after power wash... works better in warm weather
Wow that had to be a big tank, how much did all that molasses cost you, Lol.