My 409

I purchased my 1962 Black / Blue interior / tinted glass Biscayne 409 from Dutch Folk Chevrolet in Akron , Ohio. i paid including tax and title $2795.00 The dealer had about 30 409's on the lot at one time. most where Impala SS model they had 3 Biscaynes 1 red 1 teal and my black. mine had 4.11 rear.
Bobby McCulley in parts had just received a Mark 6 cam and valve springs which i bought and installed after i had about 1000 miles on the car.
I jacked up the front end by installing spacers in the front springs , put M&H super stock tires on it, installed the cam and valve springs , remove the extra head gasket and went racing. Never beat on the street , ran at Dragway 42 turned 13.06 at 108 mph ran in F/X class won my class. Second time to the strip had a valve spring break and sucked a valve. Chevrolet replaced the short block under werranty .
I traded it in at Folk Chevrolet on a 63 Impala , It was stolen off Folk's lot . A couple day latter the Akron Police saw the car tried to stop the driver , he decided to run from them ( this was in the Beacon Journal ) during the high speed chase they estimated he was doing up to 150 mph. the last time i saw the car it was on the back lot a Folk Chev . engine had been stolen.
Wish I could locate this car. I came across pictures of the car at a GM car show at Carlisle PA . The photographer said picture was taken at a drag strip in Western PA. If anyone out there has came across this car please contact me . i now live in San Antonio, TX
Richard Bartlow
210-488-6182

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Great story, Richard. I grew up in the 60s in a SW suburb of Cleveland and remember Dragway 42 (Pearl Road) quite well.

I hope you are successful in locating your vehicle. Do you possibly have any old (or more recent) photos of the car? If so, posting them could add a few "detectives" on your behalf :).

Cheers! TomK

wristpin

Well Known Member
Hello Richard! I hope you find your baby! Great story and I really hope you share more of them! Guys like you and many others here are an inspiration to guys like me!

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome, Richard !
Sounds like you had a lot of fun with your Biscane.
Hope you can find it.
Feel free to share more stories about the car.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Welcome aboard Richard

Is this the 62 Biscayne photo your referencing ?image.jpeg