My Latest Project

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I haven't been able to work on any of my car projects lately due to trying to get all the airplanes in some condition to sell. I drug the T-28 out of the barn last week to fire it up for the first time in 8 years and had my friend video the engine start so I could post it here, but the camera didn't work, so maybe later. It was pretty bad anyway since the carb was leaking fuel past the mixture control and it started and ran extremely rich and wouldn't idle. I did manage to get it out to the run-up area and up to 1700 rpm for a carb cruise metering check and spark plug burnout, but it was still way rich. Now I will pull the mixture control plates and see what is going on....may just be a piece of grit holding the plates apart (I hope). Carb overhaul is about $2500, then I have to pull the prop and do an AD tear down and inspection for about $4000. Then maybe I can sell it for a big loss.:cheers
The other airplane I'm working on had a nose gear collapse on landing and I just finished ovehauling the nose gear and riveting in new brackets attaching the actuating cylinder. Got that finished today and did a gear retraction test. New prop is on the way and should be here next week. Next is to pull the damaged engine mounting basket and replace it with a good one.
Started tearing down my spare engine which has been sitting since 68 (470 ci with 5" bore and 4" stroke). Found broken top compression rings in #1 and #3 cylinders...scored the walls badly, so will have to replace those jugs and overhaul the rest to standard. Inside of the engine looks pretty good so far, but will know for sure when I split the case. I plan to do the overhaul myself and save big bucks. (overhaul is about $16,000 if you send it out:eek:)
Here she is on jacks with the gear up. Pic #4 shows the damage from the nose gear collapse on landing. Prop was destroyed.
:coffee:

Attachments

• SANY0628.jpg
    SANY0628.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 62
  • SANY0630.jpg
    SANY0630.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 61
  • SANY0631.jpg
    SANY0631.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_0400_800x599.jpg
    100_0400_800x599.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_0398_800x599.JPG
    100_0398_800x599.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 52

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Cecil:
I still remember sitting in the T-28 :bow Where is it now, a different hanger? Hey, I didn't know you wanted to start it and run it up. Dick and I could have done that for you when we were out there:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Carb problem must be bad fuel;);)
robert

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Way to go Cecil, looks like you're either in a different hanger or you got rid of a lot of stuff (note the empty shelves in the background. Did you ever get a mounting basket?

:crazy

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil:
I still remember sitting in the T-28 :bow Where is it now, a different hanger? Hey, I didn't know you wanted to start it and run it up. Dick and I could have done that for you when we were out there:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Carb problem must be bad fuel;);)
robert

Not bad fuel...it's been in there for 8 years and still fresh, but I added 20 gals of new 100LL at $4.80 a gal so I wouldn't run out of gas at the runup area.
The mixture control plates are leaking in idle cutoff allowing raw unmetered fuel to dump into the supercharger section....lots of black smoke.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Way to go Cecil, looks like you're either in a different hanger or you got rid of a lot of stuff (note the empty shelves in the background. Did you ever get a mounting basket?

:crazy

The Navion is in a different hangar which is smaller. I got the new mount on the way back from Thompson last year. It was a little out of the way down in Raleigh, but a nice little detour.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
$ 2,500 for a carb overhaul.:deal WOW! That's a killer.:cuss
I don't know much about planes but that one sure looks nice. Someone with a lot of time and money would really have something if they restored it.:beerbang

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I haven't been able to work on any of my car projects lately due to trying to get all the airplanes in some condition to sell. I drug the T-28 out of the barn last week to fire it up for the first time in 8 years and had my friend video the engine start so I could post it here, but the camera didn't work, so maybe later. It was pretty bad anyway since the carb was leaking fuel past the mixture control and it started and ran extremely rich and wouldn't idle. I did manage to get it out to the run-up area and up to 1700 rpm for a carb cruise metering check and spark plug burnout, but it was still way rich. Now I will pull the mixture control plates and see what is going on....may just be a piece of grit holding the plates apart (I hope). Carb overhaul is about $2500, then I have to pull the prop and do an AD tear down and inspection for about $4000. Then maybe I can sell it for a big loss.:cheers
The other airplane I'm working on had a nose gear collapse on landing and I just finished ovehauling the nose gear and riveting in new brackets attaching the actuating cylinder. Got that finished today and did a gear retraction test. New prop is on the way and should be here next week. Next is to pull the damaged engine mounting basket and replace it with a good one.
Started tearing down my spare engine which has been sitting since 68 (470 ci with 5" bore and 4" stroke). Found broken top compression rings in #1 and #3 cylinders...scored the walls badly, so will have to replace those jugs and overhaul the rest to standard. Inside of the engine looks pretty good so far, but will know for sure when I split the case. I plan to do the overhaul myself and save big bucks. (overhaul is about $16,000 if you send it out:eek:)
Here she is on jacks with the gear up. Pic #4 shows the damage from the nose gear collapse on landing. Prop was destroyed.
Remember this?
I finished up the work on this airplane last week. It turned out to be a bigger job than I thought. Besides the busted up nose, I had to remove the tail and drill out and rivet in a new fuselage frame that was cracked, replace all the hoses on the fuel system, overhaul the prop, rebuild the nose gear and it just never ends.
having thought it was done, I took it out Friday for it's first flight in 4 years. Put the throttle to the firewall, and all was going well until it hit takeoff rpm of 2600, then it laid down and rolled back to about 23oo. I yanked off the power and aborted the takeoff. on roll out the engine quit and the prop came to parade rest. I managed to coast off the runway, stopped and restarted the engine, then taxiied back to the hangar. Got some fuel pressure issues and a lean carb. Just started the troubleshooting and hope I don't have to shell out for another carb overhaul.....these things get pricey.
Anyway, she looks a lot better than she did a year ago and soon, I hope to be able to get back to some of my car projects. It's a good thing I'm retired, cuz I don't have time for an actual job.
10-3-11c.jpg

10-3-11b.jpg

10-3-11a.jpg

10-3-11d.jpg

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:bang Cecil I like the name. Did you say high ole silver when you throttled up?:roll

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Cecil it looks great in the pictures. Maybe in December dick and I can schedule a road trip and watch you fly the t-28. (I aint going up :) :) How is the organizing the shop building project and have you found any neat forgotten items
Robert

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cecil,the plane looks great,you'll sort out these little problems and you'll be hollerin' "High Ho Silver" as you climb thru the clouds with that motor hummin' good...:beer:clap:clap:beerJohn

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The name was put on there by my 87 year old friend, the previous owner. I'll probably remove it sometime in the future. I'm not big on names on vehicles unless it's WWII nose art, but I don't want to insult him by removing it right away.
Haven't been in the shop for the last year. These airplanes are taking all my time. I have to get on the T-28 seriously now. It probably won't fly until somebody buys it and flies it out of here.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Looks like you spent all your time polishing this beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!

What model is this??????????

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
1946 North American Navion. It was built on the same assembly line as the P-51 after the war.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Cecil, how is it! Ol Silver is looking great and looks like you have spent a bit of time on it since Wendy and I were there! Have you sorted your fuel issues yet and managed to get the wheels of the ground.
What about the T-28, have you recommenced work on it yet.
Gav

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Not done yet. I went to fly her last week and on the take-off roll, the engine went rough at full throttle, so I aborted the TO and the engine quit :eek after yanking off the throttle. I coasted off the runway, started the engine just fine and taxied back to the run-up area. Got no rise on cruise metering check and no rise on idle mixture check, so she is running way lean. Took her back to the hangar and started troubleshooting. Reset fuel system pressure relief valve, cleaned all strainers, adjusted engine and boost pump pressure and ran it again....same problems:scratch. Pulled nose cowl and checked for induction leaks.:thinkFound 2 intake tube hose clamps loose and 3 hold down nuts on carb slightly loose. Tightened everything up, ran her up yesterday and all is well.:deal
I was going to fly today, but gotta take the wif to the airport so she can go to her class of 65 HS reunion.
Maybe fly tomorrow...maybe I'll actually get off the ground with the engine still running.:pray
The T-28 is still waiting for my undivided attention.
Thanks for askiing.:coffee

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Cecil, what I know about airplanes you could stick in a gnats ear, but I do know that if that engine quits while you are in flight, you will be the first one to the crash site. So please make sure that puppy is running strong, solid, and dependable. Thanks!

Lonnie

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks for the concern Lonnie, but I'm not suicidal......yet.
Besides, If I croak, Phil would be on my doorstep overnight.:eek
With the best intentions, of course......just trying to help the widow sort out all this junk.:brow