My New Wrench

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Due to Mike's passing I had to find a new wrench. I've known Steve since I started racing a few years ago. He ran this dragster for 3 years i believe. He bought a Roadrunner right after he got out of high school from a guy in town for $150. He went to the same high school as I did, only 13 years later. Started racing when he was 16. Today he's running in the 8's at 160 mph with the RR. I think over 600ci and over 1,000hp. I saw this interesting article on his wall...see below. He also had one of the two handed size Wally,s setting there with his trophy's. I got one pic of the back of the RR. I see Red's Sound Center was one of his sponsors. Red Droste was a renownedIMG_20200402_144744291.jpgIMG_20200402_144836890.jpgIMG_20200402_175230947.jpg local dirt track guy. I bet Fuzz remembers him. I remember watching him race at Tunis Speedway in Waterloo. Most people hated him because he won a lot. He also did what ever it took to win..........but he was a great driver.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yep, 9” with a cross brace! Neat stuff though.... Wallys mean nhra divisional race, serious competition....:good

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Dave , does Steve make house calls to your shop, or do you have to go to his?
And must be hard hitten Mopar, does it got a Hemi :D

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Yeh Dave. Remember watching Red Droste at Tunis Speedway and Independence. Other drivers I remember Claus Stricker, Mert Williams, Stan Stover, Tom Bartholomew, Karl and Dave Sanger, Bill Zwanzinger, Bob Hilmer, Verlin Eaker, Chub Lieberman and my Favorite Curt Hanson from Dike. Ran a Ford #9. Curt and his wife Alice lived across the street from me. Their little boy Bobby used to call me Fudd because he could’t say Fuzz. Droste was the man in the 50’s and early 60’s. Curt was probably the best there after that. Some may argue that. Remember too that Curt rolled his 57 Ford in high school and was very lucky to survive. Alice and me raced each other down University Ave. after the races one Sunday. I got stopped by cop and got a warning. Alice kept going. She drove a red ’66 Ford 428 Fairlane 500 4speed. I had a ‘64 Impala 327 4 speed. Dave, your post brought back a lot of memories - thanks!

Fuzz

MAGA

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I figured you were a fan. Thanks for refreshing my memory. Hilmer and his brother were from Dysart. One of their sons, Curt is currently racing circle track. Also Bentley Chevrolet out of Fairbank. I remember Tunis Speedway well. Good old days, was 18-19 years old. When the races were over we'd go up to the go cart track. Usually got one run there before they threw us out. Evidently playing demo derby wasn't allowed.

Last edited: