My Tri-Power 65 GMC

Stovebolt V8

Supporting Member 1
I started this project several years ago and after reading about some projects here I decided to share the story. I picked up the truck locally without a motor. I had a few prospects of what engine I wanted to install. Then a contractor working nearby mentioned he had an old engine in the back of his garage that had those "funny" valve covers. I told him I was interested so he brought it by the following weekend. The story about how he got the motor came from his dad. He was building a boat and bought the engine to power it. For some reason he didn't like the power and wanted to put a blower on but couldn't find a setup that would work on it so out it came and was parked in the garage. Looking at it, it had a 4 barrel carb but I couldn't tell which it was, a 348 or 409. (I've learned since how to tell :)) He wanted a $100 for it so I bought it. NOW I knew what engine to put in the truck.

01.jpg Finished project 02.jpg The beginning disassembly 03.jpg 04.jpg

I started to sandblast the body myself but soon realized it was more effective to have a shop do it. I do all my own work except paint and upholstery so off to the shop it went.

05.jpg .06.jpg

Stovebolt V8

Supporting Member 1
While I’m waiting for the paint and body work, I’m on to the engine. Unfortunately when I’m doing engine work I’m not real good about taking pictures.

I put the engine up in a stand and began removing all the boat fittings, pan, manifold and heads etc. I now knew it is a 348 and had very little run time. The bores were all standard and I could have used the rings and bearing again (I didn’t) . I cleaned and de-burred the crank, rods and pistons and sent them out for balancing. Spent a few days cleaning the block and galley ways, replacing all freeze plugs and de-burring all edges. Once everything was back I reassembled with a dual timing chain, Isky cam and roller rockers 1.8 ratio. I picked up an original tri-power manifold and carbs. Changed out the carb tops to a newer version for better fuel line access (saved the originals for posterity) and used aluminum spacers under the carbs. Still waiting for the paint work to be done I started assembling the frame, trans and suspension. It now has power brakes and steering, disc brakes in the front and new aluminum radiator. All new suspension parts except for springs, tie rods and A frames, I just bead blasted and painted them along with the frame.016.jpg
017.jpg
018.jpg
019.jpg020.jpg

Stovebolt V8

Supporting Member 1
No I don't live up there :) check the attached pictures for some photos' of the construction in progress. The upstairs (half) is open mezzanine storage place. The center and right bays go all the way to to roof for the motorhome and so the car lift has clearance. Your right, there is never enough space, it is 3700 sq ft total, two cars deep with a 12 by 30 machine shop area in the back. The far left is an office area with a 1/4 bath. My mistake was not making it 2 cars deep with a 3' walkway between the cars. Details / details :dunno Our house (separate structure) was only 2200 sq ft. and the wife didn't like that so we had to expand up there. We wanted to down size. :D

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg
Loft