MYSTERY MOTOR & Z-11

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
IMG_3522.JPG In a few weeks I'm taking some engines to the NCRS Show in San Antonio. Taking the first production 265, an aluminum 283, Z-11 and Mystery Motor.
The Z-11 is for the Colbert car(still working on the body).
I have a white 63 Impala for the MM.

Since we had the MM and Z-11 side by side I thought I would show them.

It's interesting to see the considerable differences of the different designs of 2 completely different 427 Chevrolet engines in 1962/63
One of the first things to notice are the headers and valve covers. Keep in mind both of these were developed at the same time in the same complex, the Z-11 by Zora Arkus Duntov's team and the Mystery Motor by Dick Kieneth. While the Z was a drag race version and the MM was for Daytona Zora did make a couple of single 4bbl Z-11 intakes.
IMG_3527.JPG
IMG_3524.JPG
IMG_3530.JPG

IMG_3526.JPG
The Mystery Motor was the first time Chevrolet had used a Holley Carburetor on any engine. Bill Howell the primary engineer on the engine told me he decided to use the carb after running it on the dyno and it made more HP than an AFB.

NASCAR Z-11 Single 4 Intake
IMG_1627.JPG

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The word awesome comes to mind, but does not come close to describe your wonderful collection.
You are to be thanked & congratulated for keeping these beasts alive for the younger folks to see what they missed!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
For sure what everyone else said. I really appreciate seeing your "stuff" and your postings about them. It would be fun to hear the stories of how many of these rarities were aquired. I'm sure some took many years.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Thanks everyone!!

Growing up and racing in the 60's and ultimately racing for a Chevy dealer was the icing on the cake. I was fortunate to have either raced, worked on or was involved with(read helper boy) everything from 265 with 2x4's all the way to dragsters, funny car, ZL-1 Camaro, etc.
This just a drop in the bucket compared to so many others on this site!!
IMG_4157.JPG

A 64 Logghe AFuel small block I have.
IMG_3537.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Wife says she will leave if I make any more runs!!

Checking her calendar now LOL LOL LOL