Nascar 1961

mpris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I believe Ned Jarrett won the Championship in 1961 driving a Chevy. He only won 1 race, however Rex White won 5 or 6 in a Chevy that year. I'm not sure who else was driving a Chevy then, but yes they won races mainly on the short tracks.

Poocho

M

MK IISS

A guy named Lloyd Dane won the May race at Riverside Ca in a '61 Chevy and someone named Emanuel Zervakis won a race in June at Norwood Ma in a '60 Chevy. Some of Rex White's 1961 wins were with a '60 Chevy.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"someone named Emanuel Zervakis"

Richard,
Just a little history lesson here.:brow

Emanuel Zervakis was a very good friend of mine. He was from Richmond Va. In 1961 he drove a 61 Chevy for Monroe Shook out of Keysville Va. Car number 85. I believe he finished 3rd in the points that year.
"Manual" as we called him was for the most part a modified driver who was know in racing circles as "The Golden Greek". He drove a red 1936 Chevy coupe, number 1. He was later seriously injured in a crash at Southside Speedway in Richmond. After that, he went on to become a car owner in the NASCAR Sportsman series fielding cars for Sonny Hutchins, Geff Bodine and others. He then, turned to building race cars and owned a company that built stock car parts and supplied parts for many of the Nextal Cup cars. It's called StockCar Products. In the early seventies, may have been 70 or 71, he built a Monte Carlo that he took to Martinsville with Sonny driving, set on the pole and gave the "big boys" a fit for a little while. Emanual died a couple of years ago but his son still runs the company and is still a major supplier of parts to the racing industry.
Sonny Hutchins who also lived here in Richmond, passed away just a few weeks ago.

M

MK IISS

Emanuel Zervakis

Tommy: Thank you for your reply. I did a Google search and found a lot of information on Emanuel Zervakis. If you click on IMAGES, just to the right of WEB there is even more info and photos.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Richard,
Thanks for that tip, I did as you said and there is some good information there. The old coupe shown is number 300, I don't know why but I remember a number 1 coupe.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ain't it cool how a thread starts and where it takes us. From a simple question to such a neat history lesson about someone that maybe you don't know but just got a bunch of respect. Too bad posthumously.
Ray

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Raymar,
I've often thought just what you said but never bothered to say it in writing. It's one of the great things about this bunch

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
yep to raymar58454 that pretty well sums up everything in a few words. Good job