NASCAR dual shock installation?

Bob Core

Well Known Member
I admit this one's a longshot, but does anyone know how the NASCAR guys installed dual shocks on the rear end of the X-frame cars back in the day? It's a slam dunk on Tri-Fives and other leaf-sprung chassis, but not as straightforward with coils and short trailing arms (or is it?).

:dunno

Seen enough pictures of the front end to put that puzzle together. If only someone had done a magazine article on the White-Clements or B.G. Holloway operations!

Thanks!

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I have seen shocks mounted one in front of the axle tube and one behind on the trailing arm cars, but most of the time, they were mounted side by side.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Why dual shocks???

IMO,,, It was due to the shocks that were availible back then being less then ideal.

With the new technology in todays shocks I would say it is not necessary unless you were four wheeling !!!,,dq

Bob Core

Well Known Member
With the new technology in todays shocks I would say it is not necessary unless you were four wheeling !!!,,dq​

You may have answered your own question, LOL. Many race dates were on dirt tracks back then, which could become much like off-roading under deteriorating track conditions.

Just a stab at it on my part, though.

BTW, in case I misunderstood, I'm not considering installing dual shocks on anything, I'm just putting historical info together. Pipe dream of mine is to build an accurate replica, but even though Ihave no plans to do that, I'd still like to know how.

Interesting pic from Nashville in 1961, after Rex White got tangled with the guardrail. Shows how they did this on the front:

303017414_91297b3432.jpg

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
NASCAR info

Bob:

Call Floyd Garrett at The Muscle Car Museum. He is very knowledgeable and would probably know. Better yet...go to Sieverville, TN and look at the restoration he did on the white 63 Holly Farms car. It is probably my favorite 63 that is not an original restoration. It is beautiful to see!! He put a lot of history in that car!!

Phil

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Maybe I didn't explain the installation in enough detail. The shocks that were used back then were made by Monroe and they had tie rod ends on each end that were the same size as a Ford tie rod, this is how they mounted. We used what we called shock eyes to mount them to the frame. These shock eyes were nothing but the female end of a Ford tie rod. We would take a Ford steering center link and make two shock mounts. These tie rod eyes were then welded to the frame or lower control arm to mount the shock. In later years places like Stock Car Products came into being and you could buy the eyes without having to scour junk yards for Ford steering parts.
In the front, we would use a piece of 1 3/4" roll bar tubing about 8" long with the tie rod eye welded inside, this was welded to the frame on each side of the upper control arm, then the eyes were welded in the lower control arm. I wish had a picture as I know this is confusing.
DQ, double shocks were used at all four corners simply because one would not control the movement. Monroe made shocks in several different lenghts and quite a few different degrees of stiffness. Also, back in the day, there was a Monroe rep at the larger tracks to help you choose th ecorrect shock and they gave them to us.
I hope this helps.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
DQ, double shocks were used at all four corners simply because one would not control the movement. Monroe made shocks in several different lenghts and quite a few different degrees of stiffness. Also, back in the day, there was a Monroe rep at the larger tracks to help you choose th ecorrect shock and they gave them to us.
I hope this helps.

Isn`t this about what I said ?

The shocks back then were not good enough so you had to use two where as the technology of todays shocks you can get away with one?:dunno

I think thats what i said,,,

hogmotors

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Tommy, next time that I see E J Trivette I will ask him if he remembers. He built/tore up quite a few X frame Chevys.
As a matter of fact, Harry Gant bought his 1st car from EJ. I have a picture somewhere.