Need Dims From A Stock Height 60 Impala

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You said it was basically stock on rear. So just put it where you like it ???:dunno2

I too don't see a need for measurements, you're going to lower it which isn't stock so just put it where you like.
On second thought I guess you do need to know since they sell springs that are quoted as x" lower then stock

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Actually I think it looks good the way it is . Top picture. Like one friend told me once , when they lay low, they look like they fell out of a airplane.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Mike, Correct on the second part, springs are sold as and rated in a relative amount of lowering. 1, 2, or 3.
I need to moderate the spring I buy to account for it being lets say 1 down already.
Today with more photo scaling, I measure ~ 7.5 inches ti the opening being stock. I'm at 6.5". Just want to go in knowing what I have.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Bottom line,,,, is knowing what you have in there now to get the height you want. Are they just original springs that are just sagged ??? Or where they replaced at one time.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mike, Correct on the second part, springs are sold as and rated in a relative amount of lowering. 1, 2, or 3.
I need to moderate the spring I buy to account for it being lets say 1 down already.
Today with more photo scaling, I measure ~ 7.5 inches ti the opening being stock. I'm at 6.5". Just want to go in knowing what I have.

To add to your problem, aftermarket "lowering" springs can be all over the place. You can buy 2" lower and end up raising the car an inch

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
my stock 60 is in the garage, what exactly are you wanting the dimensions of...the top of the wheel opening and what's the second mark, I'm not sure what it references...

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
59K9,
Just the center of the rear wheel to the top of the wheel opening.
Thank you so much!!

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
from the top of the wheel opening to center of spinner is 6.75"...

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Awesome, give or take 1/4 that's where I am with a full tank of fuel.
I like the car and could live with it for now the way it is but, just having fun getting it my way I guess. Thanks for putting up with my questions.

This morning I changed the rear tires from a 28" tall to a 26.5" tall tire or from a 235/70/15 to a 245/60/15. the fronts are 26 tall. Lowered the rear by 3/4". Not much but softened the rake a little. Top two photos are before and after respectively.

The bigger OD rear tire would rest on the front lower corner of the wheel opening when on the lift. Not now. :D

IMG_4711_center.jpg

IMG_5641_center.jpg

IMG_5642.JPGIMG_5643.JPG

Last edited: