Need help to identify an air cleaner

bobs409

Administrator
Posting this for "65impala409" I'm thinking this looks like one I've seen on a '61 348?

Does anyone know for sure what all engines this would be correct for? She's a beauty too! Original paint and stickers. :love

The carb opening is 4 1/8"

Attachments

• aircleaner1.jpg
    aircleaner1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 74
  • aircleaner2.jpg
    aircleaner2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 52
M

MK IISS

Bob:

This appears to be a '59-'61 air cleaner used on the Super Turbo Fire 283/230 and the 348/250 with either a Carter WCFB or Rochester 4GC carb. As you know the 58s used an oil bath and '62 was the first year for the tapered snorkel. Some applications may have had the snorkel indexed in a different position in relation to the "Front" stamping.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Bob,
It looks like the one on my 61 348/305 horse motor except the decal on mine is on the snorkle instead of the round part of the breather. I think these were pretty much the same from 59 to 61 as Richard said. I'm not sure if the decal was moved during any of these years or not.

M

MK IISS

Tommy: Is the 4 1/8 inch opening the same for the WCFB, 4GC and the AFB used on the 348/305 and the 348/340 all the same? I think the larger AFB used on the '61 409/360 may require an air cleaner with a bigger opening. But then of course the 348/340 and the 409/360 have dual snorkels. I used to know all this stuff but can no longer remember.

waddict

Supporting Member 4
hope this helps

Pop and I are looking at the pictures.....here's his input.
It may possibly be for a truck, note the step up area where it attaches to the drum area. He says that occurs on Pontiac and Olds air cleaners, but not on any Chevy Passenger air cleaner that he is aware of. And just a small change may make it fit one of the other GMs.
It's hard to tell from from the picture, but does the snorkle attach at a right angle to the drum area or does it turn down?

ed409chevy

Supporting Member 3
Bob, air cleaners that have 'FRONT' embossed in them are for a Buick or Pontiac. Someone has a chrome one on ebay advertised as a 409. Wrong!!. Also, the snorkels usually point downward slighty. This is my opinion for what it's worth. Hope this helps. Ed409chevy

bobs409

Administrator
Wow, the plot thickens. :D I thought this would be a simple question to answer but looks like there's more to it. We need an air cleaner reference page!!!

I don't have the air cleaner here with me but don't recall the snorkel pointing downward. I'll have Ned check that. You get that Ned? :D

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Bob,
I thought it looked like the snorkle pointed down also. We're having a T-storm here or I'd go out to the shop and take a picture of mine. I attached the best picture I have on file. Mine doesn't have "front" on it.

Waddict
Mine does have a small step up but maybe not as much as the one Bob has pictured.

Richard,
Without measuring them, I can tell you the my 61 409 AFB carb is between 5.5' and 6", the AFB on my 305 motor is about an inch smaller. I'll measure them tomorrow, right now, Francis is going through.

Attachments

• white motor center.jpg
    white motor center.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 45
M

MK IISS

Ed brought up a good point. Now that I have thought more about it I don't remember ever seeing "front " on the Chevy versions. I didn't notice the snorkle pointing downward. If it does it's not a Chevy air cleaner.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Bob,
After consulting with a good freind who's much more knowledgeable than I, (that don't take much!!) :roll we think that it's a Pontiac breather. Also believe that all of the Chevrolet breathers had the air cleaner instructions on the snorkle like mine does and they did not have "FRONT written on them. I have pictures somewhere of mine before it was restored and the instructions were on the snorkle.
That carb probably came from the same car.

M

MK IISS

Tommy: If the carb and air cleaner are from the same car then I would have to question them coming from a Pontiac. While working for my Uncle I worked on a lot of 389 Pontiac engines and owned a few Pontiac "winter cars" going back to my '58 plus a '61 Catalina circle track "stock car". The Pontiac 4bbl engines I owned and saw back then all had AFBs. I don't claim Pontiac never used the Roch. 4GC but I don't remember seeing one. On the other hand all the Buick and Olds 4bbl. engines I saw back in that time period had the 4GC.

65Impala409

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I went down back and looked at the air cleaner and the snorkel seems to be pointing in the down ward position... Just as a follow up to the rochester carb I dont think it came with this air cleaner but I never did check to see if it fit...
Ned
65Impala409

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
yep 2

guess what .... buick skylark.... probably came with that carb. (i got one of those)

bobs409

Administrator
Is that a bad thing though? Maybe it's worth more? :D

Start searching out those Buick sites Ned. ;)

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
More fuel for the fire

MK IISS said:
Ed brought up a good point. Now that I have thought more about it I don't remember ever seeing "front " on the Chevy versions. I didn't notice the snorkle pointing downward. If it does it's not a Chevy air cleaner.

My 66 283 which is bone stock has FRONT on it. Which leave my confused. I thought only Ford owners needed to be told which was the front or back ! :roll :roll :roll