Need Help with Munice shifter

Old School

Supporting Member 1
I’m having trouble finding a re-builder or replacement parts for a stock GM (non Hurst) 4 speed Muncie shifter. The shift gates and sleeve holes are worn in my stock shifter. The shifter is mounted under SS console. I like the stock look so I ruled out getting a Hurst because of the higher mount and square handle. I checked the prior threads and found a few members recommend getting a Hurst conversion.

How can it be used and still have the original round handle and height over the console boot?

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
That stock handle on a hurst body is gonna be waaay to high. I know there is a repro shifter body available through classic industries. Its listed as for a 65-67 but I have no idea why it would be different than a 64. The only difference in a 65-67 is longer rods and the use of a special mount bracket. I would get one of the new ones from classic industries and forget the Hurst. The "Muncie" shifters are pretty good. The one in my friends 65 shifts great! I loved the one in my old 64 SS. Best of luck!!
Ross

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Ross: Thanks... I checked the Classic Industries catalog and it looks the same as my 64 shift gate. .. Don't know why they spec it for 65-67... I thought the Muncies were all the same..
I'll order it tomorrow and see it it fits..

Mick