Need Help !!!

fakhouryinc

Supporting Member 1
I am taking my side mouldings off to get car painted, But i dont know how to take them off with out damaging them...... Can anyone guide me on how to take them off? Particularly the quarter panel trim, Also the trim around top in the back. Thanks in advanced Sam By the way its a 1962 impala convertible.

dgwar

Well Known Member
most of the clips are held by nuts on the back side. look in your trunk, and you will see.
very few pop in.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
side chrome

This procedure is the best after doing 4 frame off restoations on 62's.
Remove the back seat, remove the rear 1/4 windows. remove the covers to access the inside of the rear 1/4s to get to rear 1/4 clips. For the doors the windows can be rolled(remove is better) up to get to the clips noted below. For the fenders remove the inner fenders to access all the nuts.

The rear 1/4s have push in clips -starting by the doors, that need to have a pliers or needle nose to sqeeze the clips while someone else pulls the chrome. The factory push in clips have ridges that grab the metal, if you pry on them they will not come off without bending them. The pliers are held vertically when squeezing the clips.

The last four holes(accessed in the trunk) on each long 1/4 chrome, are held on by plastic hex head nuts(use good a deep small socket -so you don't strip the plastic nuts).

The two push in clips right over the rear 1/4 wheel well can't be reached to sqeeze them so they will have to be bent by prying the chrome off the car and the clips. The clips will stay on the car - then remove these clips with a screw driver to release the ridges on the clips.

I strongly suggest reusing these original clips since they hold the chrome so good.

The doors have these same clips that need to be sqeezed. The two end clips have hex head philps screws in them, hopefully you can get the screws loose. If you can't you have to pry the chrome off bending the clips. The repro 62 clips side chrome set have new clips for the ones with the screws.

The front fenders have hex head nuts with their own built in washer(remove inner fenders) the last nut by the door is accessed by opening the door.

The chrome for convertibles (with the snaps to hole the boot) has two snaps with philips screws - these two snaps are on the curved portion of the chrome. The front of the chrome -closest to the doors, is held on with a screw at the end -toward the inside of the car- the 1/4 windows have to be removed as I recall to access these two screws.

The chrome can then be pried off, carefully- it has special clips that hold it on the car- these clips stay on the car when the snap chrome is pried off. Be careful to not break the front portion of the snap chrome, there is a joint about 5 inches from the end of the chrome closest to the doors on both sides, that is welded - you do not want to break it at the weld, it is very hard to reweld this short piece of chrome back on to the rest of the chrome.

I could provide pictures of the convertible items, noted above(clips on the car) and clips on the side chrome.

The trunk chrome has nuts on the chrome accessed through holes in the trunk with a long extension. The cove mldgs have hex nuts or plastic hex nuts (try not to strip the plastic nuts.). The impala trunk panel has philips screws that hold it on the trunk aournd the lip of the trunk.

The reveal moldings on the top of the doors and 1/4s have small hex head philips screws to remove the chrome - you have to remove the door (and vert windows)and 1/4 windows to get to them - these reveal moldings have to come off to paint the car anyway. There is one philips screw that holds the vent window frame to the door , the rest of the vent window removal has hex blots and nuts to the door frame to remove them. I assume you have found out how to remove the window cranks, and vent cranks with the special tool needed - to remove the door panels.

Paul Stensland
Sgt. Bluff, Iowa

fakhouryinc

Supporting Member 1
This procedure is the best after doing 4 frame off restoations on 62's.
Remove the back seat, remove the rear 1/4 windows. remove the covers to access the inside of the rear 1/4s to get to rear 1/4 clips. For the doors the windows can be rolled(remove is better) up to get to the clips noted below. For the fenders remove the inner fenders to access all the nuts.

The rear 1/4s have push in clips -starting by the doors, that need to have a pliers or needle nose to sqeeze the clips while someone else pulls the chrome. The factory push in clips have ridges that grab the metal, if you pry on them they will not come off without bending them. The pliers are held vertically when squeezing the clips.

The last four holes(accessed in the trunk) on each long 1/4 chrome, are held on by plastic hex head nuts(use good a deep small socket -so you don't strip the plastic nuts).

The two push in clips right over the rear 1/4 wheel well can't be reached to sqeeze them so they will have to be bent by prying the chrome off the car and the clips. The clips will stay on the car - then remove these clips with a screw driver to release the ridges on the clips.

I strongly suggest reusing these original clips since they hold the chrome so good.

The doors have these same clips that need to be sqeezed. The two end clips have hex head philps screws in them, hopefully you can get the screws loose. If you can't you have to pry the chrome off bending the clips. The repro 62 clips side chrome set have new clips for the ones with the screws.

The front fenders have hex head nuts with their own built in washer(remove inner fenders) the last nut by the door is accessed by opening the door.

The chrome for convertibles (with the snaps to hole the boot) has two snaps with philips screws - these two snaps are on the curved portion of the chrome. The front of the chrome -closest to the doors, is held on with a screw at the end -toward the inside of the car- the 1/4 windows have to be removed as I recall to access these two screws.

The chrome can then be pried off, carefully- it has special clips that hold it on the car- these clips stay on the car when the snap chrome is pried off. Be careful to not break the front portion of the snap chrome, there is a joint about 5 inches from the end of the chrome closest to the doors on both sides, that is welded - you do not want to break it at the weld, it is very hard to reweld this short piece of chrome back on to the rest of the chrome.

I could provide pictures of the convertible items, noted above(clips on the car) and clips on the side chrome.

The trunk chrome has nuts on the chrome accessed through holes in the trunk with a long extension. The cove mldgs have hex nuts or plastic hex nuts (try not to strip the plastic nuts.). The impala trunk panel has philips screws that hold it on the trunk aournd the lip of the trunk.

The reveal moldings on the top of the doors and 1/4s have small hex head philips screws to remove the chrome - you have to remove the door (and vert windows)and 1/4 windows to get to them - these reveal moldings have to come off to paint the car anyway. There is one philips screw that holds the vent window frame to the door , the rest of the vent window removal has hex blots and nuts to the door frame to remove them. I assume you have found out how to remove the window cranks, and vent cranks with the special tool needed - to remove the door panels.

Paul Stensland
Sgt. Bluff, Iowa
Thank you again Paul, This is sam the guy who is getting the 62 impala hood from you.