need input on value: 61 bubbletop

BobB66SS

Hi guys -

I have rec'd some unexpected & unsolicited interest from a friend of mine to buy my '61 bubbletop. I've looked at several sources to get some idea of the market value and the numbers appear to be all over the place. So I thought I'd ask the experts here for their input. Here's the details:
- '61 Impala bubbletop
- Ermine white w/ turquoise interior
- numbers matching/original 283 and Powerglide
- power steering
- factory air
- factory tinted glass
- one piece bumpers

The car was disassembled for a repaint (trim and interior removed), I purchased it right out of the paint booth in the correct factory colors in base/clear. The only sheetmetal or rust repair that was needed was a 12" square patch in the passenger floor. The rest is rust free and solid.
The car is complete, all parts are there except for a few small exterior trim pieces that are available as repops. Nothing to chase down on e-bay or otherwise.
Some of the trim I've already refurbished, some still needs reanodized or replaced. Very good glass all around.
The bumpers should be rechromed, the rear has one small ding in one corner.
The running motor and trans have been removed for a refresh and detailing. The underhood components are all there (still runs a generator) and have likewise been removed for detailing.
The interior needs the typical refurbishing but all of the parts are there including the seats and trim.

I'm not actively looking to sell the car but would consider selling it to this guy for a fair number (his wife apparently really wants it). I would reinstall the motor and trans for the purposes of shipping the car cross-country, otherwise planning to sell the car as it sits since the prospective buyer wants to detail all the parts I already removed for the exact same reason.

That said, what do you think is the market value of the car? Any other info needed?

Thanks in advance.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Bob,
Some pictures might help with price estimating. One thing I always tell people who ask "Is your car is for sale?"
I reply, "It's not for sale but can be bought."
Then they seem to understand it Ain't gonna be cheap! :nono1:
:roll

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Old Car Price Guide

For what it's worth, the Old Car Price Guide lists the 1961 Impala sport coupe as worth $24,000 in #1 condition and $16,800 for a #2 condition. Add 15% if you have factory A/C.

IMHO it's very difficult to have a #1 car, and the range between the various conditions is somewhat large.

Sounds like your vehicle is in very fine condition, a California car (if those one piece bumpers are factory original) with little corrosion. Those are more desirable than a car that has been patched together with aftermarket components (again, my opinion). Assuming everything lines up nicely, the door/fender and hood/fender gaps are correct, and that paint was professionally finished, the value of your car should be well received.

Here is a link to a 1961 Impala on Ebay, just for comparative purposes:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...arms=39:1|65:1|240:1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Good luck!

TomK

BobB66SS

Thanks, guys. That's about where I was figuring it would/should be. The "it's not for sale but can be bought" line is EXACTLY what I'd told the interested party. Tends to shoo away the tire kickers and the rude dudes who just want to know what your car is worth.

It is a CA car and the bumpers are original to it, built in the Van Nuys plant in early November. It seems hard to believe but even the system components like AC compressor, generator, and starter look to be original to the car or at worst replaced with fcty correct parts quite a while ago. The car had been sitting for years in climate controlled storage before it was purchased by the previous owner so it's very, very solid. The paint and body work are very straight and the gaps were done. I even drilled the hood hinges to make it easy to put back on quickly and correctly once the motor is detailed and ready to go back in.

The only thing that has been throwing me off on the value is the fact that it's not fully assembled, but rather in mid-restoration with the big ticket things (body/paint) already done. One part of me thinks being dissembled is a detractor, another part thinks that means some of the necessary work is already done, saving the next owner the trouble of doing what has to be done anyway.

The pics I have aren't great, they were taken at the prior owner's garage the day I bought it and in pretty tight quarters. Not much has happened since to the body/chassis aside from pulling the motor & trans. Since the car is being stored out of state (no room at my house, 2 other old Chevys have those spots) all the work I've done since has been on components and trim. What pics I do have are attached.

Additional input is much appreciated on what you think the right number is.

Attachments

• IMG_0519.JPG
    IMG_0519.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0510.jpg
    IMG_0510.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0511.jpg
    IMG_0511.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 57

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Some assembly required

Having done the final assembly on one of these babies, and facing another (still in "take apart mode"), I think I have an idea of how much time it takes to hang everything together. Can't estimate the time (I just put in a few hours each day, over a VERY long period of time) but any purchaser will be more impressed with a completed vehicle. Those little details and lack of fasteners always throw you off in terms of each of completion... Plus if you didn't take it apart there's always that "sequence" that things go back together that is lacking. Heck, even if I did take it apart I can never seem to remember the sequence or the pattern :).

So I recommend that it would be better to sell such a vehicle in a more complete package. Of course, I understand that the purchaser would be a friend, and assuming he is "in" on the assembly side, that makes it easier. If it were some one else, they would factor in the cost to assemble, maybe even at shop rates. That would change everything...

Best,
TomK

For what it's worth, the Old Car Price Guide lists the 1961 Impala sport coupe as worth $24,000 in #1 condition and $16,800 for a #2 condition. Add 15% if you have factory A/C.

TomK

me personnally , the value of said such vehicle is like this

1. what would it cost you to find another car in this shape . . . . .approx 8-12k
2. what would the cost be for paint and body........................approx 4-8k
3. cali one piece bumpers .......................with all needed hardware ..approx 2k

not counting it has all og a/c components thats another 800-1500 if wasnt there
when you factor all this in at the lowest the car would be 15k , at high side 24k
yea sounds high compaired to the bougous OLD CAR PRICE GUIDE

no one can go by the price books , if someone wants that particular car there isnt any value guide
THE MAIN QUESTION AGAIN IS , WHAT WOULD IT COST YOU TO FIND A CAR IN THAT CONDITION
and think of it this way , complete or not , they are not making them anymore so you mean to tell me that a 2008 or 2009 impala is worth more than a 61 , please thats why i NEVER , NEVER even look at one of those price guids ,

now when i go look at a car to buy it , if they want a high number i start rattling off prices it will cost to fix or finish the car , but in your case appears the only thing needing finishing is the trim work and int. so from that point it will only cost approx 3k , and thats with repop trim , 2k for int. and 1k for trim , not including replating the bumpers
so if the prospective buyer thinks they can get the car for 10k and spend 3k to finish it i would tell them NO THANKS
just remember one other thing , the car is paid for so really you dont have to sell it

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I purchased my 5th 61 a couple of years in very similar condition to yours. Body was AZ, no rust, 409 340hp motor and 400 trans all rebuilt. Lots of boxes of new parts. I got what I consider a steal ($12,000) I needed to finish bumpers, interior and trim. Thought I would invest another $5,000 and have a decent car.
2 years later and another $25,000 I'm not finished.
Value and cost to finish the 61 will vary. Rubber kit runs around $500, interior kit $2000.00 plus labor. Arm rest bezels, reflectors, new door hardware with dash bezels another $500.00. Side trim, headlite bezels, emblems, tail light bezels aprox $1000. Repop grills not available, Rechome bumpers $1000. Brakes, steering, suspension, wheels and tires $$$$. Cleaning and polishing your trim? Reproduction wiring kits over $1000.
Finding a rust free 61 is very rare, and the value of Bubble tops seem to be out pacing the other early Impalas.
I agree don't pay attention to the book values, lot's of buyers are looking for solid bubble tops. The car without paint should be worth $10K to 12K maybe more depending on where you are located. Paint and body work Ain't cheap. Larry

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Preface

Dave mentions in his note:

"no one can go by the price books , if someone wants that particular car there isnt any value guide
THE MAIN QUESTION AGAIN IS , WHAT WOULD IT COST YOU TO FIND A CAR IN THAT CONDITION
and think of it this way , complete or not , they are not making them anymore so you mean to tell me that a 2008 or 2009 impala is worth more than a 61 , please thats why i NEVER , NEVER even look at one of those price guids ,"

That's why I prefaced my suggestion with "For what it's worth"!!!

There are a multitude of methods and means for determining value, I was just putting one out that people have general access to. Your appraoch makes sense as well. Perhaps combining the various sources and opinions this potential Seller will have a better idea of how to approach the subject.

If one had to purchase every nut and bolt separate from one another, surely it would add up quickly. Same for the larger components. But the total cost is not the sum of the parts (and labor), it's what Dave mentions, in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. That's an individual transaction between a willing Seller and an able Buyer.

Dave, thanks for putting your link up to the web page, I wasn't aware of that source. Perhaps when I'm out the NC way I will make arrangements to stop. Seems we have similar interests :).

Cheers,
TomK

Dave mentions in his note:

"no one can go by the price books , if someone wants that particular car there isnt any value guide
and think of it this way , complete or not , they are not making them anymore so you mean to tell me that a 2008 or 2009 impala is worth more than a 61 , please thats why i NEVER , NEVER even look at one of those price guids ,"

That's why I prefaced my suggestion with "For what it's worth"!!!

There are a multitude of methods and means for determining value, I was just putting one out that people have general access to. Your appraoch makes sense as well. Perhaps combining the various sources and opinions this potential Seller will have a better idea of how to approach the subject.

If one had to purchase every nut and bolt separate from one another, surely it would add up quickly. Same for the larger components. But the total cost is not the sum of the parts (and labor), it's what Dave mentions, in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. That's an individual transaction between a willing Seller and an able Buyer.

Dave, thanks for putting your link up to the web page, I wasn't aware of that source. Perhaps when I'm out the NC way I will make arrangements to stop. Seems we have similar interests :).

Cheers,
TomK

no problem , when you come out , you will see there is a ton of stuff i dont have on my web site , 1 i dont know how to add to it , 2 i buy these cars on a weekly basis , i now have over 85 and a lot more parts , i have a 60 x 80 shop full of parts and customer cars at all times , currently in my shop at this time is a
1950 truck full custom frame and patina paint
1965 elco
1959 belair 2dr post
1964 chevelle convertible
1962 impala 2 dr hard top
1963 impala ss convertible
1964 impala convertible
1961 impala 348 number matching car
1964 impala wagon lt1 640 hp
1964 impala ss 409 425 number matching 4spd ,
and next week we got a 1927 buick coming , also waiting to get in here is a 1969 camaro ,and a 1962 impala ss , and a 1972 convertible
there is something all the time in here , if you will just email me at davidsimpalas@yahoo.com i will give you directions and my number to reach me at ,
again i hope my input was usefull instead of just throwing you completely off coarse