NEED Orig type Console shift handle for 64 SS Imp 4spd

robota

Hi,
If'n any of you kind fellas know where I can get a stock orig type shift handle for a 64 SS Imp 4spd, I'd be grateful.

My car has the correct console , but the shift handle is the slightly longer and slightly more bent non-console floor shift handle. I need the shorter straighter one. I do not want to install the hurst shifter. I want to keep it stock and just replace the handle. REVERSE Lockout is important.

THANKS!!!

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
If nobody else has a good one, I have a broken shifter handle, bolt on shaft with chrome ball and only one side of the reverse lock out. It was on the car and worked fine using one finger for the lock out release, but there was another unbroken used one in the trunk when I bought the car and I put in on years ago.

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Hi,
If'n any of you kind fellas know where I can get a stock orig type shift handle for a 64 SS Imp 4spd, I'd be grateful.

My car has the correct console , but the shift handle is the slightly longer and slightly more bent non-console floor shift handle. I need the shorter straighter one. I do not want to install the hurst shifter. I want to keep it stock and just replace the handle. REVERSE Lockout is important.

THANKS!!!

There was one on eBay yesterday. Search "1964 Impala " under parts and it will turn up..

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I would also search "muncie" and "saginaw' as the shifters were used on other models 64 up with those transmissions , not just the 64 Impala.

robota

Thanks to all for the offer and the ebay link. As far as the broken one, much appreciated, but the car is a honest concour #2 and I need a near perfect one.

QUESTION:

I heard that rechroming a shift handle can be problematic because of the reverse lockout. ANY SUGGESTIONS???

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Exchanged mine seven years ago, but if I remember this correctly there is a cable that runs through the shifter handle, looks like it gets crimped at the factory and would pose a problem in disassembly. Look for a good one before you try to have one rechromed unless someone here has a source or tip from experience.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Exchanged mine seven years ago, but if I remember this correctly there is a cable that runs through the shifter handle, looks like it gets crimped at the factory and would pose a problem in disassembly. Look for a good one before you try to have one rechromed unless someone here has a source or tip from experience.

Actually its a cable stop with a set screw. I'm pretty sure the T part of the handle is being reproduced. It's the same as 64-67 Corvette so Paragon or Corvette Central should have it. The cable is available also. Don't know if GM has discontinued it but the GM part # is 3883686 for the cable. I'm pretty sure JW Nova Parts has it.:)

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Cecil, I was thinking that the 'vette lock-out shifters used a rod instead of a cable for the reverse lock out. Please correct me if I'm wrong. You're right on the set screw to fasten the cable.

You could try i8ntnuts on eBay. I do believe that he is also a member here. He seems to have all kinds of parts for the 60s GM ITM shifters.

Ross

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil, I was thinking that the 'vette lock-out shifters used a rod instead of a cable for the reverse lock out. Please correct me if I'm wrong. You're right on the set screw to fasten the cable.

You could try i8ntnuts on eBay. I do believe that he is also a member here. He seems to have all kinds of parts for the 60s GM ITM shifters.

Ross

Ross, You're right of course. I'm thinking the rod is removable and the cable could be installed instead. I'll have to check my collection. BTW for you old LGC members, the May 84 issue of LGC has a good tech article about how to replace the cable. I've got one broken on the shifter for my 67 Nova. That's the reason I had the article handy. Also the factory service manual has a repair procedure for a broken cable which involves silver soldering a piece of wire to the shortened cable then replacing the cable stop. Of course it's easier to just get a new cable if they are available.:deal

robota

THANKS OLD SCHOOL and everybody for the help

THANKS OLD SCHOOL and everybody for the help! I got the part off ebay, and now I just need to get it chromed. Might be tricky with the reverse lockout. (It's hooked up and working so I hate to pull it apart. (Have vague memories of lots of cursing putting one of those back together again.)

Any pointers on chroming it or reverse lock out tricks will be appreciated,

THANKS AGAIN:cheers , you guys rock.