need some advice on hood finishing

wally409

Well Known Member
I'm giving my bubbletop a new coat of paint and I'm also detailing the underside of the hood. In the picture I've sent, how do I refurbish the area with the rock-hard caulking that separates the the two sheets of metal?
Do I take the old stuff off and re-apply new caulking - or can I put in the insulation that I've seen on similar hoods on 62's. Please help. Thanks wally:)

Attachments

• hood.jpg
    hood.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 67

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wally-

From the looks of the caulking in the pic, it is not original and you may already know this. There should only be a dab at certain spots throughout the underside. If you look closely at the underside supports, it will have places that almost touch the underside of the top panel. I would reccomend stripping the old caulking and use seam sealer at the specific places. I just went through this on my hood, but I used the 2 part foam. It made such a mess and I wish I had just used seam sealer.

The hood insulation just covers the three sections in the middle of the hood.

wally409

Well Known Member
Hey Brian - thanks for the help. I will do as you recommend. Any idea as to the best way to remove the old caulking - it's as hard as rock. Thanks wally

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wally- Good luck removing the old caulk!!! You might want to try using an angle die grinder with rolock sand paper on it. Mine only had it at the spots and it was hard enough just getting it out, but I used a razor blade. Funny how you think about a better way to do things after you are done!