Need some help 1962

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looking at a 62 Impala SS 283 powerglide. Isn't 62 an aluminum powerglide?
The rear speaker grill should it have an "SS" emblem or just the Impala? Thanks in advance.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I don't know about the trans. The rear speaker grill on mine has the impala on it not an SS emblem.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks, that's what this one has and I wasn't sure. It has the buckets, little console, grab bar, all correct outside trim etc. I'm still concerned about the cast iron powerglide.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The advertising brochure for 62 says that the two 327 engines offer came with an aluminum powerglide. Apparently the six cylinder and 283 engines still had the cast iron powerglide. The trim tag is a good indicator of an SS car, the ones I have seen actually have SS stamped on them and they will carry a trim code that indicates bucket seats.

Bill

rholso

Supporting Member 1
My 62 SS has the cast iorn powerglide, this was the last year for it and all 6's and 283's came with it. The speaker grill is just impala.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Trim tag is about the only sure way to tell. Check the interior trim code for Bucket seat interior. I have 2 '62 SS's and neither are stamped SS.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The "SS" emblem on the 62 Impala SS is only at 4 different places on the whole car.
1 is in the GRAB BAR, 1 on each SIDE REAR QUARTER PANEL and 1 on the TRUNK LID.

Dave

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My 62 SS has the cast iorn powerglide, this was the last year for it and all 6's and 283's came with it. The speaker grill is just impala.

Interesting info. I was always under the impression that 62 was the first year for the alum powerglide, which is true. But I never new they still used the cast iron unit in the low perf engines. I guess I just assumed it (alum) was used across the board.
Right now, I have only seen pic's of the car. 62 SS 283/powerglide. Black with a tan, could it be fawn? interior. Some one contacted me interested in trading it for my 58delivery. It's local for me so I'm interested but I need to see it up close. Lookied good in the pic's, but don't they all!

Oh, and did I forget..Thanks for the info.

garn3

Well Known Member
If it is stamped SS then it is from Los Angelas. My 62 is stamped and from Cali with one piece bumpers That is why I bought it.

Thanks
bob

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Cast iron PG behind the 283

I too can verify that the 1962 SS with the 283 had the cast iron PG behind it (as an option). At least mine does, as well as a few others. She was also made in Van Nuys, and has the "SS" stamping on the trim tag on the firewall. I also have the original invoice for the vehicle.

Good luck in your decision. My recommendation would be to keep the '58 and take on the '62SS as well :).

Cheers!
TomK