Neutral safety switch

402 Impala

Well Known Member
I’m going through the process of replacing my neutral safety switch, easy enough right? (I bypassed the old one to ensure it was bad and the car started when I did that)

I went to a local Napa store and bought the only option available for my 61 which has a 283 powerglide. Issue I’m having is the old switch compared to the new one are not the same as far as the prong plug ins my old one has the power (straight prongs) to the very left of the switch and the reverse (diagonal prongs more to the middle) the new one is reversed.

I tried to install it thinking maybe the design changed with time but the car would not start. I left the switch loose after to slide it around to see if maybe it was not in “park” on the switch but still no success.

My question is has anyone had to deal with this and if I’m overlooking something or do I need to find the exact replacement? I attached photos to help understand what I’m trying to explain any help would be
appreciated thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8647.jpeg
    IMG_8647.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8646.jpeg
    IMG_8646.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8627.jpeg
    IMG_8627.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8626.jpeg
    IMG_8626.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 49

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I can't find any new ones like the old one with the spade orientation. Try spraying old one with electric clean. Or is the nub broken ???

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Looking at the old one the it does look like one nub is broken.
Make sure when you install it that the tab on the shift tube seats proper. It looks like it would fit between the nubs.

402 Impala

Well Known Member
Looking at the old one the it does look like one nub is broken.
Make sure when you install it that the tab on the shift tube seats proper. It looks like it would fit between the nubs.
I did try to make it point to do that but I will give it another shot tomorrow I was curious if anyone was familiar with the plug ins and if they’d matter bc they’re not placed in the same areas

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Are the plug in harness plugs separate to tabs or are they together ,like a l shape two wire and a two wire next to each other . In other words can they be plugged in on spades different ways.

402 Impala

Well Known Member
Are the plug in harness plugs separate to tabs or are they together ,like a l shape two wire and a two wire next to each other .
They’re both different separate wires the power ones that are straight are purple the two that are angled are black and I believe the reverse light wires

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Just plug in old one like it was and check as you move nub from park to reverse to neutral copy how it powers on each wire. You have backup lights to check too. The nub is a two nub with split in middle that clip goes in middle of nub.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Since parts suppliers show from 1957 to 1972 all the same ,you might run a used part wanted here. I know la hot rods here has a 62 bel air that they converted to race car so that might have a good used one that could be cleaned and lubed. You could check with him to see if it matches your old one.

Last edited:

402 Impala

Well Known Member
Since parts suppliers show from 1957 to 1972 all the same ,you might run a used part wanted here. I know la hot rods here has a 62 bel air that they converted to race car so that might have a good used one that could be cleaned and lubed. You could check with him to see if it matches your old one.
Thanks for the idea I might do that next, I think I’m going to try and mess with the one I have again to see if I missed something

Temp2c

I would get a small piece of sheet metal and cut it to fit into the plug that goes into the switch. Then tape it up and push it back into the dash.

Those things are like resisters in the starting circuit. You will be amazed at how quickly your stock starter starts the engine.

Another nice feature is say you get stuck on railroad tracks or one a busy highway with nowhere to park and it stalls and refuses to start, you will be able to move the car on the starter motor.