New 409 Blown Stroker Build, BMP Block?

Reverb Rey

Folks, greetings from MN.

Somewhat inspired by the engines on this forum, I've decided it's time to build a 409 Blown Stroker for my street rod. I started the parts acquisition about a year ago, and got what I thought was a good 65 truck block with a nick in one cylinder, which my engine guy now thinks will need a sleeve. In the mean time I bought a new set of Bob Walla heads, a new set of Edelbrock heads, and also have a nice set of studded 690's (that might end up for sale at some point). I was debating what to do with this build (in other words, how big!) and bought a new 4-inch stroke Eagle forged crank, with mains sized for a standard 409 block. I assumed ~11:1 compression would be OK with my aluminum heads.

But then I was reading MRHP's blown 348 build up thread over the past few years, and when I saw how that thing sounded on the engine stand, that was it....I need a friggin' blower! Mid-life crisis? Whatever! And so the change in direction is underway. Talked to Don Hampton and he says blower manifolds will be ready shortly. We have a blower builder up in this neck of the woods that has been building/rebuilding them for 30 years, and have a fresh 6-71 coming next month. He advised no more than 8.5:1 to allow more "room for tuning" which I read on this forum somewhere as well.

Of course, there will be the various blower pulleys, snout and whatnot to figure out. But the BIG question is the engine block. This will be a hot street engine which will get run down the strip from time to time. I'm guessing 650 or so HP? Talking to my engine builder, he (half jokingly) said "You should get one of those aluminum blocks!" Yeah, OK......so I contacted Bill Mitchell about them, and he said that a batch is done with casting and is waiting for machining, should be ready in 3-4 months, which is fine because I'm not in a huge hurry. I figure by the time I get done spending a chunk of change on finding a good block, adding 4 bolt mains and all other work needed, I'm halfway to the cost of one of these bad boys. I can sell the new Eagle crank (anyone interested??) and go with a standard 427-style forged crank. Since I'll be adding a blower, really don't need the longer 4" stroke. FYI the car is a 48 Chevy, back halved/tubbed, Tremec TKO600, 4:11's, 3,700 lbs. Running a boring old BBC now...

So my question to the group...had anyone here ever bought one of these World/BMP blocks??? I've heard some stories once you get one, they still need a bunch of machining to make sure they are ready to go. Any legit feedback on this would be appreciated. I'm willing to spend the dough on one these if it's the bomb.

Will be looking for roller camshaft recommendations (for blower use); the BMP block uses standard BBC bearing sizes, but I understand that a custom profile will be needed.

So let the fun begin! Again, looking for feedback on the BMP block and general blower config info.

And one more thing, we have a cylinder head guy here in the Mpls area with a good flow bench, so one of these days we're going to take the BW, Edelbrock and 690 heads and put them on the flow bench to document the differences. Stay tuned for that little project.

Regards

Rey

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
No input on the block but,

yeah Brian (MRHP) hit it out of the park with that altered. If I remember right that engine is only 380 cubes with small port truck heads making that kind of power, and I bet he could throw mufflers and license plate on it and drive it every day. Well, almost. I agree that thing sounds wicked with weed burners:goodHis Impala hauls @$$ too, also street driven.

Eager to see this blower engine you have planned. BBC's aren't boring btw. I love em. It's impossible not to. Blown W engines are cooler tho, gotta admit.

Reverb Rey

No input on the block but,

yeah Brian (MRHP) hit it out of the park with that altered. If I remember right that engine is only 380 cubes with small port truck heads making that kind of power, and I bet he could throw mufflers and license plate on it and drive it every day. Well, almost. I agree that thing sounds wicked with weed burners:goodHis Impala hauls @$$ too, also street driven.

Eager to see this blower engine you have planned. BBC's aren't boring btw. I love em. It's impossible not to. Blown W engines are cooler tho, gotta admit.
Yeah, I was just kidding when I said boring BBC....I love em! Built my first one when I was 17 and haven't looked back. My current car had a 502 crate in it until this past fall when I knew the 409 thing was going to happen, and a guy offered a wad of dough for it. Grabbed a 454 laying around at my neighbor's place, put some aluminum heads on it and a decent cam and we're back in business until the 409 is ready.

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
I have a BMP block, don't recall my machinist needing to do a ton to it. I also remember hearing that production runs in the past had some issues. One thing we did need to do is clearance the bottom of my CRW intake quite agressivley to clear the strengthening webs in the lifter valley. Also keep in mind that it takes a custom cam, but Comp can hook you up. I'm running a solid roller with LS firing order.

Reverb Rey

Johnny, thanks much...that's the kind of feedback I am looking for. Was yours a fairly recent purchase? Please tell me a bit more about your configuration (what heads did you use, crank, cam specs?) I am planning to use a standard 427 forged crank, which I presume should work.

Rey

Reverb Rey

Dave, thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to plenty of power, along with a little blower whine!

I had to look up the Minnetonka Fish and Game shooting range because I hadn't heard of it; looks like it's not actually in Minnetonka (!) but up the road a little bit in the Elk River area, which makes sense because there is a lot more open area up there. What part of Iowa are you located? I do most of my work these days down there (9-1-1 police/fire/EMS radio systems, towers).

Rey

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Johnny, thanks much...that's the kind of feedback I am looking for. Was yours a fairly recent purchase? Please tell me a bit more about your configuration (what heads did you use, crank, cam specs?) I am planning to use a standard 427 forged crank, which I presume should work.

Rey
The block needs a custom cam core and lifters. Isky does make them. Call Jack Gibbs. He usually has some. Many aftermarket blocks need main and cam tunnels line honed. Most good builders prefer them that way, so they can get bearing clearances where they like them.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Also with the new block you can buy any BBC crank and drop it in. If you want to use the 3.76 stroke BBC crank in the stock block counterweights need to be turned down to fit, but you can leave the snout BBC and double key it for the blower. And a shop that knows what needs to be done.
Bob

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Folks, greetings from MN.

Somewhat inspired by the engines on this forum, I've decided it's time to build a 409 Blown Stroker for my street rod. I started the parts acquisition about a year ago, and got what I thought was a good 65 truck block with a nick in one cylinder, which my engine guy now thinks will need a sleeve. In the mean time I bought a new set of Bob Walla heads, a new set of Edelbrock heads, and also have a nice set of studded 690's (that might end up for sale at some point). I was debating what to do with this build (in other words, how big!) and bought a new 4-inch stroke Eagle forged crank, with mains sized for a standard 409 block. I assumed ~11:1 compression would be OK with my aluminum heads.

But then I was reading MRHP's blown 348 build up thread over the past few years, and when I saw how that thing sounded on the engine stand, that was it....I need a friggin' blower! Mid-life crisis? Whatever! And so the change in direction is underway. Talked to Don Hampton and he says blower manifolds will be ready shortly. We have a blower builder up in this neck of the woods that has been building/rebuilding them for 30 years, and have a fresh 6-71 coming next month. He advised no more than 8.5:1 to allow more "room for tuning" which I read on this forum somewhere as well.

Of course, there will be the various blower pulleys, snout and whatnot to figure out. But the BIG question is the engine block. This will be a hot street engine which will get run down the strip from time to time. I'm guessing 650 or so HP? Talking to my engine builder, he (half jokingly) said "You should get one of those aluminum blocks!" Yeah, OK......so I contacted Bill Mitchell about them, and he said that a batch is done with casting and is waiting for machining, should be ready in 3-4 months, which is fine because I'm not in a huge hurry. I figure by the time I get done spending a chunk of change on finding a good block, adding 4 bolt mains and all other work needed, I'm halfway to the cost of one of these bad boys. I can sell the new Eagle crank (anyone interested??) and go with a standard 427-style forged crank. Since I'll be adding a blower, really don't need the longer 4" stroke. FYI the car is a 48 Chevy, back halved/tubbed, Tremec TKO600, 4:11's, 3,700 lbs. Running a boring old BBC now...

So my question to the group...had anyone here ever bought one of these World/BMP blocks??? I've heard some stories once you get one, they still need a bunch of machining to make sure they are ready to go. Any legit feedback on this would be appreciated. I'm willing to spend the dough on one these if it's the bomb.

Will be looking for roller camshaft recommendations (for blower use); the BMP block uses standard BBC bearing sizes, but I understand that a custom profile will be needed.

So let the fun begin! Again, looking for feedback on the BMP block and general blower config info.

And one more thing, we have a cylinder head guy here in the Mpls area with a good flow bench, so one of these days we're going to take the BW, Edelbrock and 690 heads and put them on the flow bench to document the differences. Stay tuned for that little project.

Regards

Rey
Cam core is custom. 409 lobe order. BBC lobe spacing (bad move)
and BBC journals (good move)

Reverb Rey

OK, pictures....not too much to share yet, but did recently score a nice Weiand blower...how's that for a good start? Also as mentioned, do have the BWR heads ready to go, as well as a new forged BBC crank...but still no damn aluminum block!

Blower 4.jpg

Attachments

• 66149043457__06987779-2964-47EE-87EF-3ADA62AF9E97.JPG
    66149043457__06987779-2964-47EE-87EF-3ADA62AF9E97.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 66149049070__C7FDE337-2CBC-4C6A-A0C9-268619717C01.JPG
    66149049070__C7FDE337-2CBC-4C6A-A0C9-268619717C01.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 31