New aluminum heads

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I was just curious if anyone had heard of any progress on the new aluminum heads?
Ross

cruizer

went to west coast nationals (goodguys, pleasanton, ca) talked with the edelbrock rep and he said that 409 and 348 water pump moulds have not been made yet.

asked about the heads and intake, they are "talking about it".

hope rich and vince (?) are further along.

cruizer

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ok,
I was talking about the CRW heads. I saw some pics this summer and they look incredible!!! There were still some issues they were trying to work out then and I was wondering if they had made it over those hurdles.

I didn't know that edelbrock was even considering making anything new for a w-motor.

Ross

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
It's still at the Fairgrounds and is the "big one" out there. Alot of pieces come out of the garages for the Pleasanton one and nothing else

Thirdyfivepickup

Supporting Member 1
cruizer said:
went to west coast nationals (goodguys, pleasanton, ca) talked with the edelbrock rep and he said that 409 and 348 water pump moulds have not been made yet.

asked about the heads and intake, they are "talking about it".

cruizer

Ok, I'm a with a WD warehouse and we are in Edelbrocks top 15 in purchasing. I've been questioning them for years about this. So I made a call a couple of weeks ago.

I've talked to my Edelbrock guy and he said the waterpump is for sure... but could not give me an ETA... which is typical of them.

When questioned about the heads he said it was on the agenda but he couldn't elaborate... just that "there is some serious talk about it." I can't remember his exact wording, but they had just come from a meeting with some serious discussion about them. Sounds like the car guys want to go through with them, but the bean counters do not.

I mentioned Ebay pricing on 425HP heads and he was well aware of what they were going for, and said when theirs come out they should be under $2000 complete. I called him on the "when" in his sentence and I could hear him smile over the phone... then he said "I meant if."

He also brought up (without me asking) that the valvecovers should be making a comeback.

I'd suggest that anytime you see anyone who works for Edelbrock at a show or race, you ask about this stuff. The more talk they hear the more they do about it. It sounds like it will happen, we just need to be more vocal to them. Feedback is everything!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
One of our own members is engaged in aluminum head and new block design. He is doing evrything humanly possible to get this done. He has run into some road-blocks recently, but he is determined. We have all tried to exercise patience, and we must continue. Believe me, there are new things on the horizon for us in the future. Stay tuned........... :) :)

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Z-11 head

I was told that the new 409 aluminum heads had a significant problem...

That is, they are machined like Z-11 haeds, valve angles are different than the typical 690's and 583's, whic means they willnot work with "regular" high preformance 409 pistons.

The solution for the heads -- as I was told -- was to "sink" the valves further into the heads (on the valve side), which may be problematic in itself...

Sure hope it gets worked out...

Denis