New appreciation for 4-doors

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I never thought I would be saying this,
but I went to a big car show swap meet this morning,
and there were two, 4- door chevies that were really appealing to look at.
First was a 61 impala four door. it was lowered with a set of chrome reverse and wide whites.
Second was a 62 Belair four door fawn gold all stock 6cylinder 3 speed lowered with 15 inch corvette rally wheels smoothie center caps and nice black wall tires.
the door handles were shaved.
Both were very nice. mostly stock with just the right finishing touches to make them look really good.
So for the right price I would definately consider a four door,...... :clap :clap

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The four doors will "hold their own" in the near future because the selling prices on all the 2 doors are sky high. And as you stated, those four doors aren't really bad looking once you've lowered them and slap a good set of wheels & tires on them ;) .

65Impala409

Well Known Member
Hi All,

So you think lowering the old 4 doors is a good touch.... I have a 65 belair 4dr that is just crying out for some attention... Sometimes I dont think I can give away prizes to get people to appreciate it... Hmm, maybe a girl in a bikini would do, but I am not so sure... Then again, its not a 409 like my white 65. So is it all that hard to lower one???? It would be interesting to know... Thank you
Ned
65Impala409

bobs409

Administrator
It's been my experience that if the car still has it's original 39-46 year old springs, they don't need to be lowered, they already are! :eek:

I'd be very happy to see a bit more appreciation of the 4 door cars. Wagons have been getting alot of attention for years now and it's a shame that most of us pass by a large percentage of these cars just because they have 2 extra doors. (they aren't for everyone but 4 doors need love too!) :D

I've been saying it for years now, the 4 door cars will be fetching more and more money just like the other body styles. Look at '57 Chevy's. How much would you have to pay today for a 4 door '57?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
More doors

I agree that certain four door cars ("more doors") do look OK. The 1961 four door pillarless is one example. The problem I have is that I seem to pump to much time, effort and dollars into my projects, and while I try to be prudent, I usually get caught up doing more than expected (this should come as no surprise to those of you who take these cars apart!). It's just hard to stop (for me).

In order to "justify" my projects I select "special" (to me or to the public) vehicles that are either limited production, rare, or personal to me (like a car my Dad or Uncle once had new). The convertibles are among the rarest, hence the prices are quite high (they weren't like that when new!). The four door cars, being quite common (I suspect there were 500,000 4 door 1962 Bel Airs made, or maybe 4 doors in all full size models) aren't as "collectible", while they remain readily available and attractive. I just have trouble putting $xx,xxx into a project that wouldn't fetch at least a high percentage of the dollars and effort spent on acquiring and restoring such a vehicle.

On the other hand, you are saying hang on to my 1962 Bel Air 4 door driver, and don't use it for parts for the bubbletop project. I think I'll do just that! I just keep looking at that rust free front clip and imagining it on my future Bubbletop project :)

Cheers!
TomK