New Cam

CharlieB

I'm at the point where I need to start thinking about a cam. I have a semi stock 348, 3x2 intake, 11.25:1 compression. I need to buy a cam for it because when I got the motor, there wasn't a cam with it. What isn't stock about the motor is the set of 409 heads, but they are LP heads. I want a little more than factory loopy sound. Any suggestions? If you need more info from me just say the word.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What castings are the heads? 817's:dunno If so those are basically the same as the high performance 348 1147 castings...:brow

It would have been solid lifter originally. Did you want to retain that sound ? Always good.
Those pistons should have a small valve relief. If so, you should be able to get exactly what you're looking for in "attitude".
409 "817" heads already have dual valve springs, so machining should not be necessary.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Sound over performace, Thumper Cams sound great, Extreme Energy perform fantastic. Com Cams told me there was a price to pay for that sound nowadays.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Charlie,I will go out on a limb and suggest to look aat one of the following for your engine since your engine has cast pistons.; From Aubrey;H -224557D [HYD.] M-235578 D[SOLID] or frrom Show-Cars;0951[hyd.] or 0958 [Solid].Personally,I'm not a big fan of the "Thumper"series cams,just too inefficent for my taste.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
".Personally,I'm not a big fan of the "Thumper"series cams,just too inefficent for my taste." Don, can you give me a little more back round on your feelings toward the Thumpr cams. I had Comp Cams do a custom grind solid roller Thumpr for my motor. I am still sitting on the fence on keeping it or not. The motor sounds nasty at a 900 idle, runs strong and is really smooth after 1500 rpm. Excellent highway cruiser too. Recently had it on a 700 mile trip and found it well mannered. I have always wondered what I am really leaving on the table by running this cam. I have come to value yours as well as many others opinions on this forum. Please keep them coming. Leo

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm pretty sure I've seen a few tests where the Thumpr outperformed a similar Extreme Energy cam right across the the entire power range. :scratch I could be wrong but I remember being surprised at how well they worked.
I'll try to find the articles and post some links tonight.
I think the tighter lobe centers are the reason they work pretty well despite the too long exhaust duration. But of course, with tight lobe centers and lots of exhaust duration piston to valve clearance may be a problem. If it were me, I'd probably get a cam from Aubrey because he's got a handle on what will fit.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
HURRY DON.......................sitting on the fence can be extremely painfull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
What's the matter PHIL ? can't get over the fence again ??? Drop all those 409 parts and you wll get over the fence just fine.:laugh:laugh

:crazy:cheers

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I agree with Jim on the Aubrey part,and the cams I suggested from Show-Cars are simular.All are modern grinds from Comp Cams,but Aubrey has his custom ground.As to the effency part,I try to suggest one that I wouldnt mind living with,but all of mine are based on the fact that I drive a minimum of 60 miles each way to and from the dragstrip and at the price of fuel today,well........Like most of us,I like a little of "dont mess with me"attitude at idle,but that "attitude" is basicly a mis-fire,which means it's the sound of my money going out the tailpipe unburnt :bang One thing I've learned is that if I take the time to set it up,my simulator is big help in chosing a cam that,if I'm honest about my desired rpm range needed,both at a cruise,and at full throttle,I can come up with a livable compromise.Every time I've 'plugged in " one of those 'Thumper's"I REALLY lose effency in the 2000-3o00 rpm range where most of your driving is done.Now these suggestions only apply to a street driven combo,that can be bracket-raced succesfully ,properly tuned of course,not someone like "Ishiftem"or BSL409's combinations which are full race.Ronnie Thompson once told me that the cast pistons in these engines dont like running much over 5500 rpm for long rance durability,so I keep that in mind as well.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Don, My cam must have a little of that "don't mess with me attitude" because on my first road test I was setting off car alarms as I was idling down a nearby street.:rollLeo

Yes Jack, I too, worry a little bit about the efficiency of the thumper cams.
Who's this "Aubrey" guy with cams anyway ? ... I mean really, what a goofy name:crazy

Just thinking out loud here... butI don't think the stock pistons have enough valve relief to clear a thumper cam:rub

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I Googled Thumpr dyno and found a couple of tests...
http://www.motortopia.com/musclecar...creates-increased-power-and-unique-sound-765/
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/1110phr_testing_three_cams_on_a_347_ford/viewall.html
This is the same test as the first link but the graph comes up clearer. It was slow to load though.
http://www.rodauthority.com/news/thumpin-power/

There's probably more out there:dunnobut I was a little surprised that the cams actually worked as well as they do. I'm sure the guys are right about the efficiency at lower rpm's and of course the all important piston to valve clearance.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Good info Jim. I can get off the fence and keep the cam. The only issue I had with this cam was getting the idle rpm stabilized. Because of the low idle vacuum, I had to go to the lighter springs for the metering rods. I now have a clean and consistent idle rpm at around 900/950 rpm. At any idle speed under 900, it would be a challenge to keep it running. Leo

CharlieB

I also saw the video Thumper has running three different cams in the same 350 engine. It give a side by side comparison of the sounds of the different cams. Charlie