New Diesel Oil Specifications

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Just read that beginning this Dec. there are new specifications for diesel oil from the American Petroleum Institute. (most likely coming from the (EPA). I don't have a diesel, but many of you do. So keep an eye out for the new specifications released in Dec. Got a notice from Amsoil.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
They better not mess with my old 53 Series Detroit "Low Ash Oil".

You are going to have more problems than low ash with those two cycle diesels. Love the sound of twin 8V-71's in a boat!!
Robert

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
They better not mess with my old 53 Series Detroit "Low Ash Oil".

Wow, every 53 series I ever tore apart had a cracked block...must have used bad oil...

You are going to have more problems than low ash with those two cycle diesels. Love the sound of twin 8V-71's in a boat!!
Robert

Hi Robert
One of the sounds the 8v-71 makes is.......drip....drip....drip....

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Dave:
Yeah those 53's and 71's did slobber quite a bit. Could always tell when behind one besides the sound there was always a "sheen" on the water when a pump came on!
Robert

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I've had 3-71, 4-71, 6-71, and V6-71's and all of them stayed pretty dry. Their old technology on power units went by the wayside and I replaced them with Cummins. Great fuel savings.

62BillT

Well Known Member
Their old technology on power units went by the wayside and I replaced them with Cummins. Great fuel savings.

My 2-53 is unbelievable on fuel. It seems like I hardly put any fuel in it, lol.

I also had a 6V-53 that wasn't bad on fuel.

Now the old 8V-71's would drink though, lol.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Basically they were solid motors back in their time but two items stayed with them. As two cycles they used lots of fuel and usually smoked pretty good under load. Also lots of leaking of oils and fuel after some running time.
Oh, you had to always make sure the runaway damper door on the blower was well serviced. :) :)
Robert

62BillT

Well Known Member
Basically they were solid motors back in their time but two items stayed with them. As two cycles they used lots of fuel and usually smoked pretty good under load. Also lots of leaking of oils and fuel after some running time.
Oh, you had to always make sure the runaway damper door on the blower was well serviced. :) :)
Robert

I know it's only a 2-53, but did you read where mine hardly uses any fuel. Also, to my dis-belief, I got mine pretty "leak-proof". It leaked like a typical Detroit, but I put a new Valve Cover Gasket on it and that took care of about 90% of it.

Around here we still use Detroits daily, although not as much as we used to. They power Saw Mills, Log Skidders , Tug Boats on a nearby lake, a few Farm Tractors and of course a Truck here and there. We also have a Detroit Dealer in town that stock most of the common parts.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Yes Bill, the parts thing was nice with all the parts that would interchange on the same series engine. Damn fuel pumps were a pain in the ass to change. Also had to have that special wrench. One thing I never liked was to get much horse power you had to have a V-12 or V-16 to do the same job a big bore 6 cyl inline would do. Detroit made up some of that problem with torque converters though. I think they also had a 110 series?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
They run really smooth, have no oil pressure, and smoke comes out of the air cleaner. :doh