NEW GARAGE DOOR

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Still working on that part. When we had it opened yesterday we just screwed a 2x4 stud across the door opening, I still need to insulate and panel the inside.

Reactions: 327

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Only a suggestion that I mentioned earlier. A 1/4 thick steel plate ,the width of door opening and length that goes back from opening at least a foot or more . Shim it down to be flat on concrete and will have to be bolted to plate with bolts to come up from bottom of steel plate through 2/4 plate. You would need four bolts per side to keep plate from swinging. Two bolts on end of plate and two bolts close to door opening stud. Use carriage bolts with round head and could countersink some also. You would have to remove whole panel to install steel plate. This would tie the opening width and keep whole panel in line when opening. Also there would only be 1/4 inch of plate across bottom which would be easy to roll a jack or cart and would not trip over it. Yes it would scoot on concrete when opening whole panel ,but would actually support it also.

Last edited:

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Put hangers on either side of the door frame that you would be able to slip vertically, the quarter inch plate into to hold both sides of the wall even with the edge of the door when you open/close……Remove 1/4” plate when not needed….. you could also hinge the bar on one side and stand vertically when not used, for storage

Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
20230819_181547.jpg
I'm liking this real good. My buddy Dave has been concerned about the opening of the panel, I know for a sure we have had open and closed more then it will be in a 5 year span.
Need to paint and caulk. then I can get on to other projects.
Oh still need the door brace for when the panel needs opening.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
You said something about putting a canopy over, externally…..??
You’ve got good runoff with your concrete pad away from the door…..??
I’m sure you do you and your friends seem to have thought it all through…..Looks really nice James

Last edited: