NEW GARAGE DOOR

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Garage door spring let go this morning. :grumble
I have been working on plans to get rid of the overhead door with a panel that can open that will have a walk in door. This must be the 4th spring that has broken from all the fanning this door has done.
20230808_130745.jpg

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I changed both of my garage doors to the overhead roll up panels I gained several inches of he and my lifted Suburban goes in with no scraping and an inch or so to spare. And totally trouble free (so far..)

Should have done it 25 years ago.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
A wheel to support the unhinged side…….????
I’m sure the door springs would’ve been more durable than the hinges depending on the frequency of opening and closing……???…… just thinking out loud……!!!!…… and in print…..!!!!….. winter time freezing…..?
Rubber door gasket at the bottom……??……I’m sorry James my brain is running wild

Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Yes wheels on the swing end and will have seals around the panel.
There will be a lean to over this door and the east side will be closed in. East side is to the left of this opening.
If I would have replaced this spring it would have been the 5th time.
My big problem has been that the only way out of the basement is open the garage door, so that door has been opened a closed millions of times in the 38 years I have lived here. So now with a man door that will be used 90% of the time I will not have heat loss in the with or A/C loss in the summer.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Oh, ok understand ,makes it flimsy. Could you have left the 2x4 in place and shortened door at bottom it would stay sturdy .Have to step over it but ??? It could be put back in easily ,just have to extend back on each side and double plate the adjoining ends .Saws all cut the nails at bottom.Then just toe nail all back in.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Maybe a 1/4 steel plate same width as 2/4 across and bolted in on each side and shim it down to concrete .of course would have to remove the complete panel off hinges to get bolted in. Just suggesting lol . That be less than a regular threshold. I have threshold on my walking in door on garage and yes if I roll jack to attached house garage have to jockey over but that don't happen often .

Last edited: