New guy building a hot rod with a 409, hopefully the resto guys won't kick me out!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Mike............one of the world's best port and polish guy on 409s is right here in KC. Tony Shaffer at Day Automotive. He can get you horsepower you didn't know you had. And I know where there is a set of 690s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A
Mike............one of the world's best port and polish guy on 409s is right here in KC. Tony Shaffer at Day Automotive. He can get you horsepower you didn't know you had. And I know where there is a set of 690s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awsome! Very intrested in the heads and head porter. Thanks Phil

Well, I found a cross ram I could afford. It was painted and I planned on polishing it so I figured someone else had ground the casting and I would not have it on my concience.
Turns out it was painted for a different reason!!!!!

Here it is out of the box.

2011-09-23_11-55-30_803.jpg

I took it to the blast cabinet and discovered a nasty secret. I forgot to take a pic of it before I started working on it because I was mad. The whole corner was crushed but filled with epoxy. I cut the top out and welded in a new piece.
2011-09-23_21-11-08_445.jpg

Clean, clean, clean, heat to 250 weld ......
2011-09-23_21-27-54_833.jpg

Fixture into mill.
2011-09-23_21-59-28_429.jpg

Git it true and repeat for side and bottom. build up end and drill for freeze plug.

Here it is after about 10 hours of work. I don't know if it will polish because of the different aluminum of the welding rod and patches but I can always have it chromed, I guess.2011-09-24_11-57-50_230.jpg

I am sure the guy I bought if from had no idea that it was damage, he bought it painted, but it confirms the old rule that paint can hide a multitude of sins! Ha Ha.

1960impala283

Well Known Member
Nice repair, Polish it anyways, even if it shows a bit. Little bit of character. Better than store bought any day...:beer

Thanks for the comments guys.

Need to finsh a customers car, then I will start on this one.

Two years ain't a lot of time to do a complete build of this scale.