New guy question on 62 Bel Air's

merc50

Did any 62 Bel Air sport coupes come with anything other than a 409? I was just wondering, info for these cars seems to be scarce and conflicting. I have seen it said they came with other engines but I know I have never seen one or even heard of someone having one with something other than a 409.

Anyone have production numbers and other info on these cars?

I have long been a bubble top fan, and now I plan to be a bubble top owner...in case anyone cares :-)

Thanks

bobs409

Administrator
Any engine could be had. Most came with something other than a 409. The Belair was a cheaper model so usually, the person buying it was cheap when it came to the engine too. :D

Those that were ordered with the 409 most likely we by someone that intended to race it. Not sure on exact numbers but I heard about 600 bubbletops had the 409 for '62.

Hippie

Originally posted by merc50
Did any 62 Bel Air sport coupes come with anything other than a 409? I was just wondering, info for these cars seems to be scarce and conflicting. I have seen it said they came with other engines but I know I have never seen one or even heard of someone having one with something other than a 409.

Anyone have production numbers and other info on these cars?

I have long been a bubble top fan, and now I plan to be a bubble top owner...in case anyone cares :-)

Thanks

I think there are more "409" Bel Air bubbletops now than there were in '62 ! ;)

Max Gearhead

Supporting Member 1
62 Bubbletops

The numbers that I have go like this, there were a total of 9775 62 Belair 2-door hardtops built. 5950 (model 1637) had V8s and 3825 (model 1537) had the 235 six. There were 15,019 62 409 engines made and this total includes cars, trucks and replacement blocks/engines made at the Tonawanda plant. To date no one has been able to absolutely say how many 409 Bubbletops were made but total number of factory installed 409s in 62 passenger cars was 8909. Hope this helps you out. Max

merc50

Okay, I know a 1637 is a Bel Air Sport Coupe/bubble top...but what is a 1537? Is that a Bel Air with the shared Biscayne roofline? If so, then what is a 1669...I thought that was the shared roof Bel Air...shows what I know...nadda.

Merc... for 1962:

1 .... Chevrolet ( a 7 would be the Canadian Pontiac:p )
then, the next digit:

1 .... Biscayne 6 cyl ( or StratoChief )
2 .... Biscayne V8 ( or StratoChief )
5 .... Belair 6 cyl ( or Laurentian )
6 .... Belair V8 ( or Laurentian )
7 .... Impala 6 cyl ( or Parisienne )
8 .... Impala V8 ( or Parisienne )

then, the next 2 digit sequence:

11 2 dr sedan
35 6 pass wagon
37 2 dr HT ( Belair series:deal )
39 4 dr HT
45 9 pass wagon
47 2 dr HT ( Impala )