New guy!

C

craig's 55

Hi Everyone!
I am a certified old car nut. I have a 40 x 50 garage chocked full of old cars. (most are just projects) I have an old 348 that I pulled out of a '65 impala in a junkyard that I am planning to put in a '55 Chevy 2-door post that I've owned since I was 16.(I am now 47) I am of course going to build the 348 first, so I could really use some advise on the best way to do it. This websight is just what I need! I will be utilizing it regularly I am sure. I am looking forward to getting to know you guys.
Thanks, Craig

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Are you sure that Impala engine is a 348, factory didn't put a 348 in a 65 Impala, they did put 409's in them, early edition but switched to the 396's by years end for the big block/wide block cars. Somebody could have switched it though, check your numbers, and welcome. Dave

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
craig's 55

Craig, If that is the origional engine out of the 65, it is a 409 not a 348. GM stoped putting 348s in cars in 1961. Check the casting #s and head #s and get back to us. And welcome to the club, lot of info here and nice people. Good luck, hope it IS a 09.:scratch

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

jr.W

Well Known Member
Welcome Craig. My dad has a 56 that might get a 348 some day keep us in formed on how the install goes when you get to it.

C

craig's 55

Are you sure that Impala engine is a 348, factory didn't put a 348 in a 65 Impala, they did put 409's in them, early edition but switched to the 396's by years end for the big block/wide block cars. Somebody could have switched it though, check your numbers, and welcome. Dave

Yea it's a 348. ( Block #3755011) I bought it hoping it was a 409, but found out later it's a 348 that someone had put in.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Craig, Welcome to the site. You have found the right place for "W" information. This is a great group.