New idea for a car project--

dynoray

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
We did the Vette 409 back in the late 60's. All the parts came new from the dealer he worked at. Seems about a 65? Roadster. Stingray, flip headlights, goofy lookin roof, 3 round taillights. Never got a hood on it cuz alternator bracket stuck up. He passed a couple years ago. If I ever run into his son or x wife I'll see if there are any pics of it, he had a lot but his garage burned so I don't know if any pics survived. It may have been a z-11 but I don't remember. It was scarry fast.

:crazy

Alright,lets see if these pictures work. just put the engine in to see how it fits etc. Ray

64409Chevelle004.jpg

64409Chevelle003.jpg

64409Chevelle002.jpg

64409Chevelle001.jpg

64409Chevelle005.jpg

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ray, Looking good. It appears there is plenty of firewall clearance. Did you move the motor mounts forward?

dynoray

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ray, Looking good. It appears there is plenty of firewall clearance. Did you move the motor mounts forward?

no actually moved the engine back about 1 1/4 inches. when i left it in the position that the frame mounts lined up to the stock holes,the engine sat quite a bit foward. i think too foward as we think it may hinder weight transfer. see what happens.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Ray,
Neat new project Do you thick it will be ready for Thompson 2012 :beer

Will Wright

Bob has one in his 66 Chevelle and it looks like a nice installation. I have a 65 Chevelle 300 Deluxe that I planned on putting a 409 in and have the exhaust manifolds but need the oil pan. Then again I have a 65 396 in the engine stand that is out to 468 cubic inch and ready to drop in the car, so who knows?
where did you get exhuast manifolds for a 409 in a Chevelle?? I have a 64 and am planning doing this.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here's a sneak peek at mine:

1664.jpg

You'll run into the same problems I had when doing mine. (mine is a 63 400hp in a 66 Chevelle SS)

First, NO 409 manifolds fit so hand built on the car headers are the way. Secondly, the oil pan needs to be notched out to clear the crossmember. Third, I don't think the PS pump clears the steering box. I converted to manual steering because I wanted to keep the idler pulley anyway.

Other than that, it's a bolt in. I think I still have the big shoe horn you'll need to get it in there. :D Oh, and a little grease on the inner fenderwells never hurts. :D

A few more pics of the car can be seen here: http://www.348-409.com/photopost/sh...assword=080a53aa7bd0b07aeef29646cbfc6b3e&page=

where did you get exhuast manifolds for a 409 in a Chevelle?? I have a 64 and am planning doing this.

Read Bobs post above.