New melling oil pump design

jr.W

Well Known Member
Has anyone heard of the melling small block oil pump design change.
I ran across a sticky over at nasty z28.com ,( under hi. perf. mod.) it seams the new design is week and can crack off. I put one in my truck motor last year before
I found this out. I hope it does not break. It seams the old style pump is now
under a different # and is 3 times the $.:mad:

GOSFAST

Well Known Member
Has anyone heard of the melling small block oil pump design change.
I ran across a sticky over at nasty z28.com ,( under hi. perf. mod.) it seams the new design is week and can crack off. I put one in my truck motor last year before
I found this out. I hope it does not break. It seams the old style pump is now
under a different # and is 3 times the $.:mad:

Melling made the changes back in the '90's, under orders from the "Brass" at G.M. So the story goes. The new design is a much lighter-weight casting. It will be no problem in your truck BUT do not use them for ANY performance applications today.

They do have some "new" replacement numbers available in the "Select" line of pumps. There's no issues with this new series. They are referred to as the "M" series.

If you need further info you can either go to Melling's website or drop me an e-mail.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Your other option is to try to locate some "old" inventory. There are some early pieces still "kickin' around". Just hard to find sometimes!

Thirdyfivepickup

Supporting Member 1
yeah, GM made them do it. I've had customers with failures on the dyno. Don't know the circumstances... but I've heard the stories.

I just dont know why Melling didnt give the new style a different part number and keep the old M-55/M-55HV the same. Its surprised a bunch of people.

jr.W

Well Known Member
I can understand GM wanting or needing a different / cheaper pump.
And I can see GM putting up a fuss about changing part #'s in there system.
(that might be a nightmare) But why did the price for the old style pump go up
almost triple what it was, the tooling has been paid for for years,and no engineering cost either. Maybe I just don't get it, or I'm just to tight.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I can understand GM wanting or needing a different / cheaper pump.
And I can see GM putting up a fuss about changing part #'s in there system.
(that might be a nightmare) But why did the price for the old style pump go up
almost triple what it was, the tooling has been paid for for years,and no engineering cost either. Maybe I just don't get it, or I'm just to tight.

It's probably the transportation costs to ship it from China. :eek:

:roll

GOSFAST

Well Known Member
Melling Pumps Cont'd

You hit the nail on the head there. :clap

Hi jr, the new pumps from Melling are really a superior piece with some changes for the better actually.

On many of the SB's, including the 348's/409's, they now have "steel" gears instead of "cast", some, depending on the individual number, have the drive shaft "pinned", an form of "shaft-support" (for added strength), screw-in-plug for the relief valve, provision for a bolt-on screen (eliminates welding), and a choice of standard volume, +10% volume or +25%.

And they are supplied with the "steel sleeve" driveshaft that would normally be ordered separately. This would not help with the 348/409 app's due to the length difference, but it's included in the package for the SB's.

Just the 3 options listed above, the steel gears, the screw-in relief plug, and the bolt-on screens make the added cost of the pumps worthwhile. At least to us here, with no more welding (sometimes). Not all have this option!

If you like, you can contact George Richmond at Melling and speak to him. He's a really "heads-up" guy that will listen!

(Add) The reasoning behind G.M.'s original design change was solely done for
the exclusive purpose of simply chasing "gas-mileage". They wanted "LIGHTER" oil pumps, believe it or not!!!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Milodon also has oil pumps available now, BUT, have already had a number of issues with their new pieces. Buyer beware!!!

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Gary in N.Y.
Thanks for your input because it really helps the rest of us who are "in the process" with motor builds
Robert

jr.W

Well Known Member
I guess it is my fault for not doing the research. I did not know that it came with
A drive shaft and the updates. The bolt on pick up sounds like a good idea.
It helps out the guy that does not have a tig welder in his garage. My only ? is
what does a lighter weight pump have to do with gas mileage or are there
pressure or drag changes.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just the overall weight reduction I'm sure. A few OZ here and a few OZ there and you make up for a lighter engine. The less weight the engine pulls around the better mileage. The bolt on pickup is a real plus. I would wonder were the break off issue came from? It would be because the pump is putting to much twist stress on the shaft housing would be the conclusion I would come to.:dunno Roy

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Part Numbers on New Pumps

Hi guys,

I am in a pickle over what exactly constitutes a "new updated" Melling pump. I have used Melling oil pumps for the sbc/409 religously for 20+ years (M-55, M-55a, M55hv) and haven't noticed a differancein the new pumps I put on verses the old pumps I take of. The latest was the M-55a that I put in my new 409 2 months ago. It had a M-55 cast into it just like the new one . I must have missed something. Can anybody post pix of the new weaker pump. I can post pix of the old (pre 90) pump that I still have?:dunno :dunno

Thanks Robert