New-Old Tach from Sun

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've been having trouble with my current tach. When it heats up, it starts bouncing all over the dial. So I did some looking around and found this Retro Tach from SunPro.

d_340.jpg

It's available for $140 direct from them.

The problem is their tach's are normally around $40-50.
d_294.jpg

So the question I have to ask myself is: "Is the restro look worth $100 ?" since my guess would be that they both have the same electronic's. It really is "Retro Looking !!!" :cheers

Bill

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I tried ordering one through Summit about 4 months back and waited and waited and it never came. Canceled the order about a month ago. I thought it was a cool tach too :clap

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
New Old Tack from Sun

My guess is the cost of tooling to make the different dial face placement.
Plus the different style case front.
A clock dial is used on their other products not the low placement of the pointer you see with the old style tach.

I for one like that look. And if I had a extra $100 I'd buy one.

Dave

sam 15

Go retro....It sounds like that's the one you would like....don't settle for a few bucks....my 2 cents

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
China

The only problem with the new ones is made in China stickers on it. I would rather have a vintage original tach but the cost of one of those PLUS rebuilding it/restoring it costs $$$$

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
yellow wagon said:
I would rather have a vintage original tach but the cost of one of those

No question that original would be the real find !!!! But where to get the $$$$$ :dunno:dunno

Bill

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Bill, Don't spend the money on the tach.... Instead, spend it on a trick water temp. gauge that reads 20 dg cooler. :cheers

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Oh sure take advantage of the situation !!!!

Ronnie said:
Instead, spend it on a trick water temp. gauge that reads 20 dg cooler. :cheers

Good one, really good !!!!! Ha, Ha :roll:roll

Bill

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
...It's available for $140 direct from them.

The problem is their tach's are normally around $40-50.

So the question I have to ask myself is: "Is the restro look worth $100 ?" since my guess would be that they both have the same electronic's.

Be glad you aren't looking for certain styles of old Stewart Warner gauges. They can cost 4-figures for just the tachometer.

Considering the correct tachometer for these cars is always more expensive than the new "retro" tach, I wouldn't even think twice about the $140. That's still relatively cheap and the look fits the car much better than the $50 model.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well the tach I have now is an Autometer maybe $30 in it. I believe the only problem is a broken wire somewhere that gets hot and opens up. Since there is nothing "original" about the car, I can't see paying $500-600 for an original tach. Just have to decide if I'm going to pay $150 for the Retro ???

Bill

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bill, Jegs has the tachs sitting on the shelf for I believe 139. www.jegs.com Dad and I are saving for that tach and the green stripe guages to put in the 60 so it looks more like his race car from the 60's. He's as happy as a pig in s**t. Just needs that guage set up to put him over the top like two pigs in it. Scott

smithd7

Well Known Member
Just got my new sun pro after a few months on back order. Trouble is I have a CD ignition system that isn't set up for a tach, so need to spend another $40 bucks for a tach adapter.
You could also buy about the same tach from MOON for about $80.

Just my 02

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Scott said:
Jegs has the tachs sitting on the shelf for I believe 139

Scott - I didn't find the tach listed at Jegs. I think it's too new for the webpage ?

smithd7 said:
You could also buy about the same tach from MOON for about $80.

Smith7 - The Moon tach is not to bad of a price and it has a "Red Line" which the Sun does not ! Just don't know about those "Moon Eyes" in the display !!! :dunno:dunno

Things to think about alright !!

Bill

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian,

Thanks, for posting those links for tach repair / resto. Good info.

I have the old Sun tach w/ fender mounted transmitter for my 61. I just don't
know if it works yet. Come to think of it, I don't have a schematic for wire
hook-up.:?

Nuts,

I've got one of the "Moon" (old Sun style) tachs in my Duece. The indicating
needle fell off a couple years after I had it.:cuss I called Moon and they sent
me a replacement. No problem since.:clap

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian,

Thanks, for posting those links for tach repair / resto. Good info.

I have the old Sun tach w/ fender mounted transmitter for my 61. I just don't
know if it works yet. Come to think of it, I don't have a schematic for wire
hook-up.:?

Here is a wiring diagram

rc_wire.jpg

smithd7

Well Known Member
Scott - I didn't find the tach listed at Jegs. I think it's too new for the webpage ?

Smith7 - The Moon tach is not to bad of a price and it has a "Red Line" which the Sun does not ! Just don't know about those "Moon Eyes" in the display !!! :dunno:dunno

Things to think about alright !!

Bill

Moon now has their half-sweep tach without the logo,MPG5000T 70.00
:cheers:cheers