New steering box

lnirenberg

Supporting Member 1
I have been improving my suspension piece by piece and I am at the point where the power steering box needs some focus. The steering is vague with now road feel and not enough steering resistance, as well as the fact that I want a quicker steering ratio. Anyone who checked out my build thread knows that originality is not an issue with the only caveat being I don't want to go to rack and pinion. Suggestions or personal experience would be most appreciated.

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
steering box

Larry, look at Borgeson's website. They just introduced a brand new 600 series box with 14:1 variable ratio (fast ratio for street, slower for highway). According to their ad, it uses the original Pitman Arm, and clears large 409 style radiators and larger sway bars. It is a true bolt-in design. Check them out at www.borgeson.com. Good Luck! Jeremy

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Larry, does your car already have an aftermarket or later model setup that you are going to upgrade further, or does it still have the original box?

lnirenberg

Supporting Member 1
Its a 605 box which I assume is a newer box. Heidts makes a power steering proportioning valve for rack and pinion and I emailed them to find out if this is also applicable to steering boxes. If so, I'm going to start with this approach as the install is easier and it much cheaper than a new box.

lnirenberg

Supporting Member 1
New plan, I'm going to start with a Heidt's adjustable power steering valve. They're relatively cheap and I can play with the steering effort. Combined with new speed rated tires I think I can improve steering feel.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
There is a company Corvette Steering that uses some brackets to use the regular 800 series PS box on our old cars. Those are the kind the WS6 Trans Ams and IROC Z 28s use, so good road feel and quick ratios. No personal experience but been eyeballing them for my project. Don't see the picture they used to have of it on their site now though.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You could put a 55 lb centering spring in the control valve for more road feel.