new to all of this so excuse my ignorance

Supreme

Hello,

Some background, I have always loved older cars and recently decided I want to build a impala 1962/1963 daily driver. I currently drive a 1977 Caprice classic.

The car I want to build will be more of a restomod than a full out restoration. Anything I remove from the car I plan to store in case later on I plan to sell the car. I would like to do a engine swap with a fuel injected engine (not sure which would be the best engine to swap out with any suggestions would be wonderful). Has anyone here done such a thing and if so which engines should I be looking into?

I would also like to know of any online stores which provide resto-mod products for chevy impalas. ie more modernized dash boards, or back lit odomotors and such?

Also I have several mechanic friends who are willing to help me with this job so I want to do a frame off restoratiion, some things would have to be farmed out naturally but things like the actual engine swap or disc brake conversion could be done by us fairly reasonably.

Please any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS

I have not found the car yet, my parents are in tenn. and i have other family in the low country of south carolina so I figure finding one shouldnt be TO hard. I also have a home with a two car garage so I have nice work space.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
digital dash

Dakota digital make dashes for the cars. I like 383 fast burn GM crate engines for lack of expertise on building your own engine. Good luck and keep us posted on what you get.

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
engine & trans

Myself, I would do an LS1 stroked of course with a 6 speed manuel trans. Using all of the stock components. Nice and drivable.

Supreme

Okay I spoke with one of my mechanic friends and here is the question he said I need to ask.

Which aftermarket fuel injected engines will be easiest to swap out with the least amount of modification? Also with which ever engine you guys suggest which tranny, rear end and drive shaft would I also have to swap out in order to make this run?

I saw a edelbrock engine which puts out 450 hp horsepower. But i didnt see much on the site as far as what I would need to do in order to swap this out in a 1963 impela.

Again thanks for all the information so far

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
engine install

I have a file here on my computer that show the install of a ls1 in a 60 chevy.
You have to have adobe to view it. Shoot me a email address and I'll send it out.

Supreme

Donald,

pm was sent.

Thx for the help. Oh I looked at the dakota digital, that wasn't really what I had in mine. I still want the car to have the original dash look but just with a neon back light to give it a retro look

Supreme

I have been reading on the LS1 swap and it sounds VERY intesive. What are the pros and cons of going with fuel injection as opposed to carbs. What is a good carb engine to sawp out for the 63 impala? I really want something that will perform like a hotrod but be fuel econimical for daily driver use. I am trying to avoid anything that I would need to fabricate parts for. I mean if I have to buy a engine mount then thats not that serious but again not to much that we have to fabricate. Any suggestion would be helpful. I also want to say I am in the info tech field and do computer support and programing so I am very ignorant when it comes to cars so please forgive my questions if they seem "simple"

PS

Will galdy swap computer info for car info lol

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
lets see. hmmmmm. 327 block to start with, 283 crank, a set of camel hump or power pack heads and a good cam should be a good starting point....

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
Supreme

You have mail.

I think a LS1 swap would be very cool. I think Painless even makes a wiring harness for it. It would be like having a Camaro SS in older sheet metal. Oh by the way on where to get some of your parts that you will be needing. I'm big on Ebay. Most of the 409 parts on my 62 wagon, I bought there.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
There was an article in Chevy Rumble not too long ago. I bet thats the one Don is talking about. I think Street and Performance actually makes everything you need for that swap. I remember seeing a picture of the guy making the wiring harness. YES, it seems very doable!! It got the wheels in my head turning!!!:brow
Ross

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was at a cruise in and a guy had a 51 chev 2 door that looked bone stock. Under the hood was a LS1 with a 6 speed. It had a stand alone computor to run the injection and spark. He said going on a 300 mile trip he got close to 30 miles per gallon.:eek: I said I thought it should pretty good in the performance department and he said he wasn't into racing but it did move out real fast. I asked him if it was hard to do and he said it was easier than any other car he has done. He got everything to do the job from one supplier which I didn't ask who it was.:scratch I guess I only think in terms of W engines so I didn't inqure. Roy

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I wonder if e-bay will auction off those rocks in the picture? :dunno I would think they could get a couple of bucks for one of a kind, ROCK :roll Skip