New to the group!

61Impalafam

Hello fellow big block owners! I've had my 1961 Impala four door sedan for about 4 years now and am finally starting to seriously looking into restoration and also since I will be pulling the engine and transmission to freshen them up from years of neglect pryor to me obtaining the vehicle. The car has a 348 paired with a Turboglide direct drive transmission. I am looking into a mild engine build while I have it out, but I definitely want to keep the engine as original as possible by getting a .030 over bore and dropping in a 409 crankshaft with aftermarket pistons and rods but keeping the stock intake manifold and heads. I am unfamiliar with the Turboglide transmission and there doesn't seem to be much info out there about it. How much more Horsepower can I put to it without having to change to a Powerglide? The only information I found online, is that from the factory any of the 348 engines that made 280 horse or more came with the Powerglide. I'm not sure how much horsepower I would gain by just stroking it with a 409 crank and .030 overbore. Looking forward to having lots of discussions with you guys! Any help would be appreciated or at least point me to an existing thread that might give me some answers???

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
For your build Wristpin nailed it. You will love love love an over drive. Spend a little more time and get yourself a 200-4R and its a bolt in application with no mods to trans mount or drive shaft. For spirited cruise it would be my go to choice if I wasn't so heavily invested in 700r4 I already have.