New Wheels and Tires Time. NEED HELP!

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here's my current '62 that I fitted with a Corvette Rallye 15 x 8 (4.00 B.S.) and M&H Racemaster 275-60-15's. They are DOT-approved and have a true 10 inches of tread. I really like 'em because they hook like crazy, look Nostalgic with their "M&H Racemaster" sidewall lettering and keep the police off my *** by being DOT. Although some of the newer Drag Radials hook like crazy, they just don't look "right" on these early Chevies. Kinda like crossflow radiators, but's that a whole different subject!

Attachments

• BISCUIT 1962.jpg
    BISCUIT 1962.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 146
  • BISCUIT 1962 -1.jpg
    BISCUIT 1962 -1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 160

esfireman32

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the original steel wheels from 55-57 Chevy are the same as the original steel wheels from a '62 Biscayne? Are the 14" or 15" and look the same?

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm pretty sure that '55-'56 Chevy's use a 15-inch wheel and '57's were the first year for 14's. What diameter wheels are you wanting for your car? 14's, 15's, 16's, or 17's? Remember.....wheels are THE most important component of a car, even over paint! A primer car with Magnesium Halibrands is 10X cooler over a Chip Foose paint job car that might have some ho-hum aluminum swap meet wheels. Simply said.......choose wisely!

esfireman32

Well Known Member
I'm pretty sure that '55-'56 Chevy's use a 15-inch wheel and '57's were the first year for 14's. What diameter wheels are you wanting for your car? 14's, 15's, 16's, or 17's? Remember.....wheels are THE most important component of a car, even over paint! A primer car with Magnesium Halibrands is 10X cooler over a Chip Foose paint job car that might have some ho-hum aluminum swap meet wheels. Simply said.......choose wisely!

I'm looking for 15's. I figured if I can find a set, I might be able to have a company here modify the offset a bit... if needed. 15" wheels give me a little more tire options. I couldn't agree more about the wheels making the car... thats why I'm making sure I do my homework. Thanks to everyone here, I will be informed. :clap

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
55-56 chevy and 55-62 Corvette are 15x5 with some minor differences between welded and riveted. There was also a wide wheel option for 57-62 Corvette with 15x5.5 wheels.
57 Chevy were all 14x5
58-64 were all 14 with some variations in backspace (offset) and width by year and model.

Maybe this will help.:coffee:

Attachments

• Wheels 3.jpg
    Wheels 3.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 59

esfireman32

Well Known Member
Thank you very much oldskydog. I just want to obtain as much info as I can get because I want to make the best decision on a wheel and tire combination.

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
Evan, depending on what type of dropped spindle you are running, your wheel offset will definitely be very important. If your spindles have the integral tie rod mounts, you could have a tire rubbing problem. My 17"x7" wheels come close to rubbing on the inner lip of the wheel with 4.25 backspace. These are Superior Spindles I have. Jeremy

esfireman32

Well Known Member
Evan, depending on what type of dropped spindle you are running, your wheel offset will definitely be very important. If your spindles have the integral tie rod mounts, you could have a tire rubbing problem. My 17"x7" wheels come close to rubbing on the inner lip of the wheel with 4.25 backspace. These are Superior Spindles I have. Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. I was actually thinking about putting my old front disc brake setup back on the car which is on a stock spindle. It would be a little higher in the front but would clear the 15" wheel and give it a very nostalgic look. I noticed the current 18" wheels are fairly close now. Thanks for giving me yet another item to look for, appreciate it. Evan

wbc409

Well Known Member
If your not looking for anything fancy you can talk to Stockton Wheel also. As far as the rubber goes, Radir wheel lists some old style cheater slicks w/crossed flags. They are a bit pricey though. You could also check out Coker or BF Goodrich.

esfireman32

Well Known Member
Thanks. I checked them out, nice looking tires. I went to Coker already and might find something for the front there. Thanks for the help.

oldimpala

Well Known Member
this pic shoes the 275-60s on the 15x8s in the rear pretty well right after I got them on the car. Like I said, they fit just about perfect

dsc00202ti8.jpg

That, by the way, is one of the best looking stances (and cars) I've seen...

Can I be nosy enough to ask you what you're running for backspacing, front tire size, and if you've done any mods to the width of the rear?

I've got 235/60's on 15x8 Chevy Rally Wheels, stolen from my stablemate '69 Corvette (Which now wears Torque-Thrusts.)

I BARELY fit the rears in; and they're narrower than what you run, and the fronts just started rubbing with the disc-brake conversion this fall.

I like the look of the car with these wheels, and was considering a wheel-vintiques set; just need backspacing, and tires.. :)

Sorry to pick your brain, and thanks for the help in advance...

-Andy

esfireman32

Well Known Member
I couldn't agree more with oldimpala, Yellow Wagons car looks and sits very nice. :clap

I was also curious as to whether or not anyone has fit an American Racer L-60-15 on the rear of their full size? It is recommended for a 7"– 8" wheel. It is a nice looking tire and is D.O.T. approved. If so what is the offset you are running (standard or Custom)?

Thanks guys

–Evan

I have stock Vette 8" ralley whls on the back of my 61. I forget the tire size but it looks nice and fat under there (255-60, maybe?) I'm in build mode and I'm just using em to roll it around on. My 1/4s were repaired before I got it. The wheel lips were rolled up and he didn't do too bad at it so that mod stays. I can just squeeze my hand up between the inner wheelhouse to the outside, to the inside my hand fits in easier and I was concerned about room for tailpipes. Whatever the stock backspacing is on thos 8" whls it seems to work well for the desired "fatness", much like the sample pics shown (thanks fellas). My build will be OEM-style chrome reverse with wide whites. On the front I have 15X7 ralleys on a disc brake upgrade with 11" rotors and I think metric calipers. No clearence issues but I haven't done drop spindles yet. BTW, who's spindles are ya using? You like em? Any unforseen mods or issues?

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I know this isn't the look that you are interested in but I put a set of Radirs on my '62 last week. I kinda lik'm.

Attachments

• DSC_0813.jpg
    DSC_0813.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 103

esfireman32

Well Known Member
I know this isn't the look that you are interested in but I put a set of Radirs on my '62 last week. I kinda lik'm.

Those do look great. Its hard to tell from the photo, are those the cheater slicks with the checkered flags of them? Thanks for the response.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Those do look great. Its hard to tell from the photo, are those the cheater slicks with the checkered flags of them? Thanks for the response.

Naw, just radial blackwall tires. They are 215X15 tires on 15"x6" wheels. Heres a side shot, might could use a 225x15 but theres not much room under the rear without raising it up some. I had 14x6 station wagon wheels with 800x14 tires but I wanted to drive this car some so it needed radials, I've had these Radirs for years so i thought I'd put'm on and see what they looked like. The car drives great with them.

Attachments

• DSC_0815.jpg
    DSC_0815.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 94

esfireman32

Well Known Member
I have stock Vette 8" ralley whls on the back of my 61. I forget the tire size but it looks nice and fat under there (255-60, maybe?) I'm in build mode and I'm just using em to roll it around on. My 1/4s were repaired before I got it. The wheel lips were rolled up and he didn't do too bad at it so that mod stays. I can just squeeze my hand up between the inner wheelhouse to the outside, to the inside my hand fits in easier and I was concerned about room for tailpipes. Whatever the stock backspacing is on thos 8" whls it seems to work well for the desired "fatness", much like the sample pics shown (thanks fellas). My build will be OEM-style chrome reverse with wide whites. On the front I have 15X7 ralleys on a disc brake upgrade with 11" rotors and I think metric calipers. No clearence issues but I haven't done drop spindles yet. BTW, who's spindles are ya using? You like em? Any unforseen mods or issues?

The drop spindles that I am using are from CPP. I have to go back to the smaller disc brake setup that I had in the car in order to fit the 15" wheels. The 12" brakes on the drop spindles are for sale if you know anyone. I may have to clearance the calipers on those a bit. I won't know until I get the wheels test fitted before I have them widened.

Evan