Newbie, Gravy 62

Gravy 62

Hello all,

I am a new member to this forum, although I have read some of the messages in the past and have found this to be a great information resource.

My user name is just what I have, a gravy-ish colored (Adobe Beige) '62 Biscayne 2dr.
I bought it 7 1/2 years ago with 36k miles, now its almost 53k!
It was a 6cyl. 3 speed, just changed to a Gen 6 454 and wide ratio muncie 4 speed.

I look foward to many good threads.

Ken.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Welcome aboard!

Gravy 62:

Welcome to the 348-409 Forum, and congrats on your choice of a fine body style in the 62 Biscayne! How long have you had the BBC and the four speed? If you have some pics of the vehicle in digital format and you can shrink them to under 100K you can post them on this Forum for all to see.

A word of warning: when I first started hanging around this Forum I didn't have a "W" engine (348 or 409) but I did have an X frame car (1961 Belair) and soon thereafter I found myself swamped in newfound engines of that persuasion :). You may suffer the same disease as I have caught, the "I've got to get a 'W' disease" :).

Go to a local car show next time you get the chance, see if anyone has a "W" in their engine compartment, and see how many people crowd around and recall the Good 'Ol Days! Then you'll trade that BBC for a "W"-powered ride :).

You and I aren't that far apart, I'm just down I-70 to the West a hundred miles or so. If you're ever in Columbia plan on stopping by and I'll infect you with this popular disease :).

Cheers,
TomK

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
WELCOME !!!

BIG WARNING !!!!!

If you do get down to see Tom ,,, DO NOT,,, I repete ,,, DO NOT shake his hand !!!

This disease is highly contagious and incurable !!!! Once you have it you will never be the same !!

There is no known cure,, just take a good look at the other members here and you will see what this disease has done to others,,,,,,

Known side effects:

Hording W parts,,

Building faster engines and cars,,,

Spending hours driving around looking for the mysterious dreaded W parts,,,

Planning and building larger and larger garages to house these parts and cars,,,

Talking on the forum and phone about your symptoms and looking for relief from said symptoms,,,

And the worst,,,, driving hundreds of miles to gather with other infected brothers and sisters to compare various degrees of infection !!!:hug ,,,dq

Gravy 62

Hind site is 20/20.

The guy I bought my car from also had a running '63 409 2/4bbl motor on a stand he wanted to sell for $3500! Yes....... I passed on it (what a dummy I am:bang ).

I had the money but not the sense. I think a the time I was a little intimidated by the 409. It did not seem like the right motor to get since the oil pan gasket had more blue Permatex oozing out of it than I have ever seen in my life. I did not want to do a tear down and wonder how bad the bottom end had been starved for oil from silicone pieces getting sucked into the pick-up screen.

The 454 came availible (truck take out motor) a week after I bought the car and I bought that. It seemed quicker and easier since I knew it was a running low mileage wreck and ready to go in. Then a "short" seven years later (after marraige & 2 kids) I got around to putting the 454 in. I could have gone through the 409 in the seven years and got it ready to go in and with out any blue Permatex!

Well live and learn.
Gravy

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gravy, You should have bought the 409. Blue Permatex only squishes to the outside, never to the inside...... :roll :roll