newbie needs advice

vett2000

wanted a 409 ever since the day (I was 15) my dad was used car shopping and bought a 64 f85 v6 spd 2dr instead of the red 09 4spd sitting beside it (some parental crap about gas mileage)....anyhoooww...I have built Chevs and a LOT of olds...have a 64 Jetstar with a 425 to go in it...now building a vintage dirt modified for antique races...it was about to get the 425 olds when I ran onto some 348's locally....I long ago gave up on a 409 ($$$$$$) but these 348s are reasonable...the type racing I will do is for fun and there are no rules except 35 years or older and affordable....With the BBC crank kits available I like a 60 or 80 over 348 with 396/402 ion iscrank for 411-415 ci.."335 truck heads with bbc valves and a little work...a guy I knew a while ago said this was good for 425-450 hp with some luck.....that would be enough to do what I need...the question is who in n FL can bore the block? I understand a special fixture is needed for the bank angle and the extra cutouts........anyone out there have a machinist? I would LOVE to see tjose COOL W valve covers in my dirt car but do not have unlimited $$$$$.......Anyone have experience in OVAL motors that need to pull from 3-6k 150-200 times a night?? HELP!!! I GOT THE 09 BUG BAAADDDD!!!!:doh

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome to the site. I am a big fan of 348 strokers. mine has the 427 crank 40 over with 333 heads. similar to the motor your discussing. The biggest item to factor into the budget is the crank, not cheap to turn em down but not too bad. there are stroker kits out there or you can piece together. I believe my crank rods and pistons in kit form were a little over 2g's. there are members in florida that I'm sure will chime in on Machine shops.

Tim

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
hi,,welcome to the greatest web site of 348-409s:deal
what part of fl. are you near? there is a shop here in the Clearwater -St.pete
area that "desapience" Denis uses to help build some very nice motors.
i will get the number if you what it or maybe Denis will show up and
give it up.:roll mike

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
get modern

modern machine shop should be able to bore the W block with nothing special. Eagle has a 454 crank listed for the 348-409, not sure if it ispn the market (check with Sumitt Racing). BBC rods and custom pistons is all pretty norm now days.