Newbie Youngster

WeakLInk

Hello, my name is Terry. I'm the new guy on the block. I live in Norwood, Ontario, Canada.

I am not new to W engines. Back in the mid-seventies, my uncle drove a 1964 Chevy C-50?
It was originally an Italian brand pop truck in Toronto, Ontario. He bought it in 1967 for logging use.

We put over four hundred thousand miles on that rig before the engine finally bit the dust. Uncle Edgar had the 348 rebored twice and at last you could hear the blowby...LOL! I beleive that he said it was over-bored a total of .070'' to which, I always heard was too much for that block. I can't really say if that was correct but the engine had no more compression after the last rebuild.

By 1977, the '64 body was a rusting hulk so we swapped on a 1968 body (maybe that was the C-50) and used a 1969 350-300 HP engine out of a Chevelle for motivation. It lasted about six months. That 350 just didn't seem to have the low-end torgue needed to haul 35,000 pounds of logs day to day. It burned out really fast.

Finally, we just bought another truck; a 1973 6500-E Series with a 427 for power. Swapped out the original 4-spd dual range tranny for the 1964 5-spd Clark that was behind the 348, and never looked back. Uncle used a bungie cord for the Hi/ Lo speed range to work when he needed it. He
used to jump out of the truck, crawl underneath and move the 2-spd lever attached to the bungie to another point on the frame in oder for it to work. Get back in the truck and haul ass up the steep northern hills around North By, Ontario.

With a fully loaded 1964 348 5-spd in top gear it would max out around 68-72 mph. It was totally stock except for a pair of Thrush mufflers cut off just under the floor pan. Man, irt was a blast to hear that sucker coming...yohu could hear it a mile away.

Our 73 6500-E w 427 would go at least 85 mph. It would indicate close to 100 mph wide open unladen but the speedo jumped around alot, so go fugure!

Anyways, it's nice to be on the site.

I currently drive a 1998 Buick Regal GS.

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome to the site. Sounds like its time another 348-409 build. Buick would skooot pretty good with one. Scott

WeakLInk

I already modified the GS. Just put on a 3.5'' SC pully, cold air kit, new computer, headers / exh., 180 thermostat, colder plugs, and it realy goes. About hi 13s.

I would like to find a W-engine 61-65 but the prices are high in Canada. A couple years back I looked at a nice original 65 409-340. it was just too pricey with alot of small damage and incorrect stuff to replace. Had to pass it up.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site. :beer
I was entertained by your story of the truck with the 348. :pop

WeakLInk

Yeah, I have a few more good stories about those days with the 348, but, I need to find the right forum to create a thread. LOL!

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site. Great group here and lots of info on the "W" engine.Enjoy the ride. The picture in my avatar on the left shows what you can do to a 1964 80 series potato truck 348.
:crazy:cheers

WeakLInk

Thanks.
Actually, the first truck my uncle had was a 1964 GMC series 4000 - 5500 and not the 1964 Chevy that I said it was. I remembered the unique twin headlights, and Ivory grille only after I had already posted. So, I scanned the net and some of my own files in order to make sure that it was a 64 GMC, and not the Chev counterpart.

It was one of the bigger series, because Uncle Edgar's GVWR / License was stenciled on the sides of the doors for 33,000 pounds. From what I understand, that was one of the largest ratings for medium duty trucks at that time.