NHRA "Factory Experimental" classes...

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Here’s the latest from my friend.

He said it’s obvious the block with the production casting number and the “0” number shows it was cast just before the actual production number.

He said the foundry would cast a number based on what the order states. If an order comes in with some slight change the division requesting the part number many times would actually pick up a phone and call the foundry. It’s very possible the “1” in the location usually reserved for the date was the foundry’s way of identifying when a change had been made. He indicated this was very common and especially in this case since both casting numbers are indicated.
So, bottom line, some kind of production change and this would have been the first one cast. After this if the change was acceptable then the “0” would be removed and regular production would begin with that location utilizing the casting date.
That’s all for now.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
I was at Jim’s shop in Garland many decades ago and he showed me a white with red interior I believe bubble top named Valentine! I also recall some tan aluminum fenders hanging on the wall! He told me whose car they came from and now I don’t remember for sure! Thought he said Frank Sanders. Jim was a super nice guy to talk to! I remember the race car also!
I knew Jim in the mid '70's when he lived out here. The car he named Valentine was because the original owner he got it from was last named Valentine. Wonder where it is today. Anybody know anything about Jim? It's been over 30 years ago that I last talked to him. He moved to Texas in the late '70's, early '80's, when he did the restoration on the white Bel Air he was still out here. I told Doug Marion about him, they got together, the car feature on Valentine come out in either PHR or Super Chevy, and that had a lot to do with the 409 Chevies getting some ink and becoming restorer's and collector's items. Jim bought some heads and parts for that car from me, and that's about how this whole thing started. I don't think any of us ever thought the 409 thing would have ever gotten as big as it is today.

Last edited: