NHRA & Hayden Proffitt

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I received a call from a very excited Hayden this afternoon.

He received a phone call from Don Gartlis after lunch today. Don informed Hayden that he and 4 others had been voted in to the 2009 class of the NHRA Hall of Fame!!! He told me the names of the other 4 but I did not recognize them. I could see Hayden's 6 foot grin all thru the telephone lines!!! He thought he would have to be "gone" to be honored for something like this!! He will be getting a letter from either Don or NHRA as to where and when the induction ceremony will be. I asked if it would be Pomona but he said he wasn't sure. He thought they were moving the ceremony around the country on a yearly basis to allow more people to attend. I said let me know when and where and Candy & I would certainly be there!!!

Don didn't realize that Hayden was a 5 time National Champion!!!!

I mentioned to Hayden that this was cause to celebrate and he should go out and drink a beer. He thought he would stay home.....take the cap off a quart and drink the whole bottle!!!!:cheers:cheers:roll:roll

I'm honored to say Hayden is a dear friend and I'm very happy for him and his new achievement!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap

http://www.hayden-proffitt.com/Home_Page.php

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Hurrah! A seat in the NHRA Hall of Fame is well deserved. I watched Hayden race at Bakersfield and Lions (Lads) in Long Beach almost 50 years ago. He was our hero and his ¼ mile runs were always amazing and a source of great entertainment. When Hayden came to the start line, everyone one in the pits would go out to watch.

I’ve been doing the math and he must be getting on in years. I hope he is on good heath and enjoying his retirement.
:cheers:cheers

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I got to meet Hayden at the 409 Convention in Kansas City a few years ago and it was a very humbling experience to look into the eyes of a man that has been a hero of mine since grade school. Wow, was all I could even think of. I really hope that that convention does not turn into as once-in-a-lifetime event. It really had a special "feel" to it being there. C'mon Phil, let's do it again!

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
Congrulations to Hayden:clap:clap:clap:clap
Well Deserved
I am going out his way tomorrow, might just have to stop by and visite
:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers

roger

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I have met and talked to Hayden at the KC convention and the Hot Rod reunion in Columbus. Can't think of anyone that deserves the honor more than him. Congradulations Hayden.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A BIG Congraulation to Mr. Profitt !!!!
One of the nices guys you could ever meet !!!

Attachments

• Hayden Jim crop.jpg
    Hayden Jim crop.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 152

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I've only talked with Hayden once MANY years ago and by phone, but it was a great pleasure.

Congratulations Hayden!