Nhra

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My wife and I went to the Texas Motorplex today ( Friday ) to watch the pros go fast. $96 for two tickets. Okay, I know this event is expensive, so no big deal. As soon as we walked through the gates, a track employee ordered my wife to open her purse. Not a big purse, just a normal size womans purse. I thought, gee, must be searching for weapons, explosives, etc. My wife opened the purse and the employee looked in, reached in and confiscated my wife's 2 Granola bars. She turned to a Constable who was standing there and showed them to the Constable. He said , no , cannot take food or drink in. Granola health bars.??? Water was $3.50 per bottle so I know why noone is allowed to take in food and drink, but to search women's purses?? This doesnt even sound legal. I could have had several sandwiches in my pockets and noone would have known the differance. My wife said some words she hasnt said in years. Took her 2 hours to calm down. Racing was good. Night session was fantastic. That was a good thing because we will never return to a NHRA facility. Will watch on TV from now on . I will have to write Billy Meyer a nasty e-mail next week informing him of my detest to how his empoyees treat customers.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Ronnie: I have seen the same scene at NASCAR lately on the grandstands side. I have never witnessed that detail though in the corporate /sponsors/car owners side and entrance.
Robert

409Biscayne

Well Known Member
Based on my experiences at Indy for the U.S. Nationals (or any event that takes place at that track), your incident sounds like a Motorplex-only deal. I am not defending the NHRA; I don't agree with the direction that the organization is taking. Having said that, since I am averse to spending $8.50 for a sandwich and a drink, whenever I go to Indy for Goodguys or the Nationals I take a backpack with a small cooler built into the bottom to take in food and drinks. I have never been stopped to have the bag searched, even when I carry in a pop or coffee with me.

Hopefully that will not change.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Ronnie...........that's the way the NASCAR track was here in KC when they opened. They will let you bring in water now. They have relaxed the rules somewhat.
KC Chiefs are the same way. Absolutely no food or drink allowed except by Chiefs issued medical card. Candy had to get one a couple of years ago.
It's all corporate greed now!!!!!!!!!:takethat :takethat :bang :bang Didn't used to be that way at Green Valley......did it!!!???

425/409ER

Well Known Member
My wife and I went to the Texas Motorplex today ( Friday ) to watch the pros go fast. $96 for two tickets. Okay, I know this event is expensive, so no big deal. As soon as we walked through the gates, a track employee ordered my wife to open her purse. Not a big purse, just a normal size womans purse. I thought, gee, must be searching for weapons, explosives, etc. My wife opened the purse and the employee looked in, reached in and confiscated my wife's 2 Granola bars. She turned to a Constable who was standing there and showed them to the Constable. He said , no , cannot take food or drink in. Granola health bars.??? Water was $3.50 per bottle so I know why noone is allowed to take in food and drink, but to search women's purses?? This doesnt even sound legal. I could have had several sandwiches in my pockets and noone would have known the differance. My wife said some words she hasnt said in years. Took her 2 hours to calm down. Racing was good. Night session was fantastic. That was a good thing because we will never return to a NHRA facility. Will watch on TV from now on . I will have to write Billy Meyer a nasty e-mail next week informing him of my detest to how his empoyees treat customers.

I know where you are coming from we went to BIR in aug. they did not search anything but they now want 5$ a day to park on top of the entry fee the cheap seats were filled and over 1/2 the paid stands were empty. makes me wonder who NHRA is catering to, I will not spend any more money there. We can't watch it on tv as we don't get espn so they lose marketshare. I have over 30 years of racing on tape so I can watch a lot of good old racing at home and nobody searches anything I eat. The less we patronize then and the emptier the stands get maybe then they may get the message.