No Oil to RH lifters when Priming the pump

425/409ER

Well Known Member
UPDATE: The rear cam bearing was indeed off, what the builder did was aligned 2 of the holes right but forgot about the 3rd one. I had to pound it in the my homemade cam bearing tool I made, then I hooked a piece of mechanics wire through one of the small holes to keep it from dropping into the engine, pulled it back with a radiator tool then bent the bearing with a big screwdriver and out it came. Marked all the holes in the block for putting in the new one, just waiting on parts. Going to be cold this week to work on this but knowing that oil will be flowing will make my son happy.
Thanks for all the ideas guys you all were a great help on this matter, I will post some pics as the 409 gets put in the car.

Darren Blake

Wow. I just had the same exact problem, and whomever installed the cam bearings on the #5 didn't seem to think it was very important to use the correct cam bearing or to install it correctly. Ask me how I know....lol

425/409ER

Well Known Member
FINAL UPDATE: Put in the new cam bearing tonight, all holes are open and clear. Put on the rear cam plug, dumped in the lifters and pushrods I then put the dizzy, put the drill on spin and wah-lah 40 psi at the front of the engine. We spun it for about 30 sec. pulled up on the dizzy, there was oil all over the thing. Pretty confident this is fixed and the 409 now will be a reality. Thanks guys for all the help, I and my son really appreciate it.

denson1932

Well Known Member
The 409, only the rear cam bearing has 3 holes not 2 ...but not at 120-240-360 degrees...so if you (or I) do not notice that, two out of 3 holes will align correct and the third hole will not...the popular 409 assembly books don't tell you that. don't ask how I know....Also make certain the oil pump drive shaft steel coupler (can you say REPOP?) doesn't bind in the rear main bearing recess, also make certain there is no 'even small' detent in the front timing chain cover that will cause a metal ZZZZZ sound on start-up that will scare the heck out of you...