No turn signals

Poppas409

Well Known Member
I have similar problem that LtFrankDrebin had, turn signals working and then not. Can’t identify the fuse even after looking in the manual, lights work, brake lights work, but not turn signals. Ideas?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Do indicator lights come on in dash or not for either left or right ,but do not blink.

Mr. Chev

Well Known Member
check the wire that slides the switch back and forth on the column. it can come disconnected or the switch itself can fail.

Poppas409

Well Known Member
No blinking on dash or otherwise, are you referring to connection under the horn ring for the connecting wire. On that note how do you remove the horn ring to access the clock spring and internals?

Mr. Chev

Well Known Member
On my 61 I can look under the dash up at column and see turn light switch and you can turn the switch with the turn signal lever and see if its doing its thing, its hard to see it work but you and if you cant it is two 5/16 screws to take it off the column and you can see it all once its hanging down. just make sure when you put it back you adjust it with the slots on the switch so it returns to centre perfectly.

Mr. Chev

Well Known Member
The cable can slip on that switch its just held with friction, and if you do take it off, you can toggle the switch back and forth by hand, or if you have a good spare, just plug in and toggle to see if you can eliminate the mechanical part of the system.

Poppas409

Well Known Member
Those are some really good pictures. What manual are they out of, I have 61 and 62 supplement manuals and these instructions aren’t in them. Thanks for the help, know better what to look for. Dumb question, but how do I remove the horn ring to access mechanism below it?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Those are some really good pictures. What manual are they out of, I have 61 and 62 supplement manuals and these instructions aren’t in them. Thanks for the help, know better what to look for. Dumb question, but how do I remove the horn ring to access mechanism below it?
Don't take it apart yet. Do as mr chev says and check movement of cable to signal switch at base of columnwhen toggleing turn lever .

Last edited:

Poppas409

Well Known Member
Changed flasher, didn’t help. Watched that wire that’s in the signal switch on the column, wire barely moves when pushing turn signal lever, it just twitches.

Reactions: 327

Poppas409

Well Known Member
I would like to get that manual that Mr Chev has, my manuals don’t have any of that info in them. What manual is it? I have 61 shop manual, 62 supplement and the wiring and assy manual.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The wire has to move up and down parallel to the column to turn the left or right turn signal on.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Assembly Manual 1962" This reprinted manual gives you assembly illustrations down to the last nut, bolt and screw. It shows exploded views of nearly every part of the car, and includes part group numbers. Use this manual to help you disassemble or reassemble parts of your car, and or to help identify parts that may be missing or incorrect. The book contains production and regular production option information. That means that you get information on the base model all the way up to "fully loaded." You will find illustrations for body assembly & mounting, frame, front & rear suspension, brakes, engine, transmission, fuel & exhaust, steering, wheels & tires, sheet metal, electrical, radiator & grille, bumpers, and much more. You will also find accessories and options such as the radio & speakers, heater, power lift windows, convertible tops and much more. There are exploded views and illustrations on just about every page, with wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and handwritten revision records. This manual covers the 1962 Chevrolet Biscayne