No turn signals

Mr. Chev

Well Known Member
If that wire isnt moving much, it could have popped off the little rod in the column, or the little metal thing that holds the rod on the column part has come loose for the collar and needs to be put back on and punched or restaked, Ive seen that happen!

Reactions: 327

Mr. Chev

Well Known Member
If you look at the exploded view of the column, you can see at the 2 oclock position the actuator and the little metal square that holds it, that little square can fail.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The steering wheel should not come off without a steering wheel puller as the video shows.
I have removed 100’s steering wheels of 61-63 Chevys and never had one that did not need a steering wheel puller.
something is wrong with the grooves on his steering shaft allowing him to pull that steering wheel off so easy.

The hex nut holding that wheel will push the steering wheel on if tightened properly there is no way to pull the wheel off the grooves if the grooves on the steering shaft are not worn off
Paul

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've had to use a puller and also my hands in the past too remove a steering wheel. I've got the split in between my nose too prove it when the steering wheel popped loose. In the video the guy states it was removed recently and someone installed the mech incorrectly and that he was fixing it.

@poppa409, I guest I was off by 10.00 https://show-cars.com/product/1383 19.50 if you need the part and I think 23.00 for the switch :drinking

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I've had to use a puller and also my hands in the past too remove a steering wheel. I've got the split in between my nose too prove it when the steering wheel popped loose. In the video the guy states it was removed recently and someone installed the mech incorrectly and that he was fixing it.

@poppa409, I guest I was off by 10.00 https://show-cars.com/product/1383 19.50 if you need the part and I think 23.00 for the switch :drinking
I thought everybody used their hands???:poke:roll

Last edited:
  • Haha

Poppas409

Well Known Member
I’m back to working on my turn signals, pulled steering wheel and I can see that the mechanism pushes and pulls the stiff wire that goes down the column to the device below. How in the hell do you get to the top screw that holds that device to the column? I watched the cable below when I activated the turn signal lever, it pushes but doesn’t pull the tab up as it should. Once I get the device off,how do I tighten the cable to the tab that it pushes and pulls?

Mr. Chev

Well Known Member
You need to be a bit of a contortionist but you can get a quarter inch ratchet and small extension with a 5/16 or 8 mm socket, get it loose and just use the extension and socket to finish, once hanging down you should be able to see if the wire is in the switch correctly, if is loose you could use needlenose on plyers and gently bend tangs down, but it just might not be clicked in properly, once hanging you should be able to quickly source the issue, and if its the switch, run out to your parts cars and rob one off of a spare column, that is if you have any parts beaters, I buy any 61s I can dont care how rough. There is always parts you can use.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The cable does not tighten -it snaps into the bottom of the switch (3 clips on the bottom the switch hold the cable in place)
remove the switch and look at the bottom of it (two hex head screws hold the switch to the column,

The top screw that holds the cable - I recall is under the turn signal round piece that moves with the turn signal handle

Mr. Chev

Well Known Member
The cable should be held in place on the bottom of switch is small bolt and retainer, it should be flush with the outer skin and should hold it firm, the switch however can have the cable move back and forth for an infinite kind of adjustment, but it should still hold the cable, I would maybe disconect cable and see if switch is pooched, it should toggle back and forth pretty easy, check that first also at the same time check to see if when you switch it, the tail lights blink!! this way you can eliminate things, the disconnected wire should move real free when disconected, did you try that and see that it is smooth with no binding or obstruction? if good try switch, that too should move freely and function on your lap, try that, if all works, double check how tight the cable is retained by the switch its good really, but you can slide it by hand if you try, but not with more force than the mechanics allow, really a simple system, oh and talk to it, its like a plant!

Poppas409

Well Known Member
I believe the cable is loose at the switch, after I took the steering wheel off, I could see it move correctly on top and the blinkers would work, but after moving it several times, it no longer moves the tab in the switch. The screw on top of the column, I don’t have large hands and I can barely touch it, somehow have to remove that screw. Oh well, work on it some more today. Thanks for all the advice.