nos muffler

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
On top of that question, here's another

stuch said:
Iam looking for a 1962 nos 409 muffler not a repop but a new nos general moters muffler for a 1962 chevrolet belair with a 409 409 any info will help thanks stuch@peoplepc.com

I'm quite sure I can't help you specify a NOS muffler, but I would like to open up the muffler topic with a question of my own:

If you were using factory cast exhausts, what would you use behind those manifolds, including diameters and choice of mufflers? Most of my buddies don't like the sound of Flowmasters, so we are looking for other options. JEGS has a few selections, and I was wondering what others think.

Hope you can find the time to answer both questions!

Thanks,
TomK

Bubbletop Bel-Air

Well Known Member
I have a 62 409/409, with the early non-header cast manifolds, 2 1/2" pipes all the way back. I put a set of Dyno-max super turbo mufflers on it, and I am very happy with them. Just a hint of exhaust note, very close to original shape and size, and available from Jegs for under $ 50.00 each to your door.

B

bowtieollie

HI Tom,

First, since you desire a performance muffler you will not find one the same dimensions as the original.

I beat that horse into the ground.

Shafer's has the only muffler "that is close" to the original.

The headpipe will need an extension to use an updated performance muffler. As you, I personally detest Flowmaster - sounds like crap in my honest opinion.

I have found the stainless steel Dynamax Ultraflow to be a very good muffler.
Top quality construction, straight thru design that IS quiet (er) than a Flowmaster - and the best part is that it OUTFLOWS the Flowmaster.

If they made them in the stock length - there would be a set on my '61. I have installed six pairs with great results.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Dynamax recommendations

BowTieOllie states: "I have found the stainless steel Dynamax Ultraflow to be a very good muffler."

Thanks for the tip! These were recommended by a loal buddy of mine as well. JEGS had them for something like $106 each. Looks to be the contender as of right now. We are "fabricating" from the cast manifolds back, so 2.5" and these Dynamax's might just be the ticket :)

Best,
TomK

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Another vote against Flowmasters and for the Dynomax. Have 2 Dynomax cat-back systems on the late model Impalas; have a nice deep rumble and don't crackle like trash cans.

stuch

What Iam looking for is a general motors Not an after market I have a complete exhaust system execpt for one muffler all new old stock welded together thanks

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Maybe try Jodi Anderson in Minneapolis Minnesota.
I do not have any contact information,
but I know there are a few guys here who have bought from him.
Anybody have contact info???

B

bowtieollie

Shame that seller only as one muffler since you end up with two cosmetically different mufflers on the same car.

I doubt its a GM part based on the appearance.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I agree on the Flowmaster sound also! But I`m using the 50 series and the tone is much better and a bunch quieter inside the car.
The 40 series has that garbage can sound.

I also have a set of DynoMax that I had on my van that sound excellent with a tone that reminds me of a great glass pack but richer in tone!

I`ll have to look into the stainlees UltraFlows,,,dq

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
droptop62 said:
Maybe try Jodi Anderson in Minneapolis Minnesota.
I do not have any contact information,
but I know there are a few guys here who have bought from him.
Anybody have contact info???

It's been a few years, but I remember Jodi being with his dad at the Southside Auto Parts or Southside Auto Salvage. Like I said it's been years so I may be way off.

Just checked my old business card file and came up with the number 612-727-2404

SteveD