nostalga reading

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I decided to get out some old Hot Rod's for entertainment this evening and was reading the January 1963 records summary and recognize a few names on here and I'm sure some members remember quite a few more. Let me know..... I see Dick Harrell and Dave Strickler's car.
robert

january1963hotrod0002.jpg

january1963hotrod0001.jpg

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Talk about memories!

The A/S MPH record held by Frank Ursomoso (I think the spelling in the book is wrong but I could be wrong) from Union Park Pontiac. Frank drove the car before Harold Ramsey took over.

The SS/SA listed as “Maveric” is Bill “Maveric” Golden of the wheel stander Dodge pick up fame. That truck is now in Garlits museum.

AA/D Connie Kalitta is still campaigning a Top Fueler driven by his nephew Doug Kalitta and a flopper driven by son Scott Kalitta

The Stone, Woods & Cook A/GS 41 Willis Gasser. Wow! That brings back some super memorys of the Great Gasser wars of the sixties.

Thanks for posting that Robert!:beerbang

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I was working the starting line at Cecil County back in the sixties when Kalitta, the Frantic Four, Biddie Winward's "Brief Encounter" and Garlits were brought in for a four way match race. This was when fuelers had to be push started. The push cars would push the race cars across the starting line and down the track with the mag turned off to build oil pressure. The two cars would cross lanes at about half track, stop and then push back to the starting line, the driver would throw the switch for the mag and fire the engine. Then cross behind the starting line and stage the cars for the race.
Kalitta went down the track and started his turn. The push car slowed a little then caught up while Connie was in the turn and hit him in the rear. Lifted the front of the car about four feet in the air and set the front wheels over the guard rail at the side of the track. Talk about one hot (pi$$ed off) driver! Connie jumped out of the car and threw his helmet against the windshield of the push car and and didn't stop screaming for what seemed like five minutes. He ran back to the drivers door but the crew all got out on the passenger side. :roll

Parts

Well Known Member
That record set in Denver by Dick was with the 62 Black car. Not sure if it had Steel or Aluminum pieces on it then. In 62 each NHRA division had their own points race. Dick won the Division 4 deal for stockers. He worked at the potash mines in SE New Mexico and the mines were on strike, so he was able to do a lot of traveling. He told us he made more money that year while not working than when working. Winning races and building engines for people out of the area that liked the way his car ran. It helped him to be better known in other areas of the country.

Larry
I decided to get out some old Hot Rod's for entertainment this evening and was reading the January 1963 records summary and recognize a few names on here and I'm sure some members remember quite a few more. Let me know..... I see Dick Harrell and Dave Strickler's car.
robert

january1963hotrod0002.jpg

january1963hotrod0001.jpg

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Same look

I have changed very little since the old days.

Attachments

• mike.jpg
    mike.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 31

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Mike Atlas.

Wow Mike: After looking at that rack, now I know how you changed the oil pan gaskets, on your engine. You probably didn't need to use a jack.:roll :roll Skip:)