Not mine. Person on facebook selling 1961 bubble with 409 4speed

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
How are you creating an SS 6 cylinder car when there was nothing in the VIN specifying an SS, only the model number like Bel Air, Impala, etc.
Type in 11311K it will come up with 1961 SS 6cylinder made in Kansas City. I don't know how, I just punched it in while looking up another car.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
That is what I was thinking too. Clearly the decoder needs adjusted or notes below it need made because I won't be the last person to use that decoder.
You are making a vin that did not exist. That 11311k shows 1961 impala ss six cylinder two door sedan built in Kansas city. Which is NOT a sport coupe. Until you find a vin like that which you won't you can put all kinds of combinations in that decoder and come up with a non built car. So you only use vin's that really exist for the decoder.

Last edited:

62BillT

Well Known Member
I sure do agree that you could not get a 235-6 or a 283 in a '61 SS, but "technically" according to many prior discussions and documentations, you could get an SS in any '61 Impala other than a Wagon (Nomad). Whether one was ever made though is another point.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
But the RPO 240 SS option required a v8 of no less than 305 hp.
That is the kind of note that our decoder section should have added. Waiting on someone happening across any given vin/trim tag to prove or disprove any build is all well and good but not remotely realistic with 100k plus built of each type. Rpo codes are best and documents to support the information is key.