Not sure where this goes,

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Inspected this car again this morning. Took a jack, jack stand, lights, moving blanket, etc. Bottom line: I'm disappointed in it. The bottom of the floor pans, trunk and frame, have quite alot of surface rust. A portion of the rear inner rocker, is rusted through. Two of the body mount brackets are rusted through. So much so, that when I went to feel them, two big chucks of rusted metal from the brackets came off in my hands. I could see other pieces of rusted metal hanging down. This was all on the passenger side. The bottoms of both doors contained some deep surface rust with a small thumbnail portion rusted through. I never bothered to check the driver side or look any further. That was good for me. Not going to buy this car. It's much, much more work then I want to put into it, not counting the expense. I just don't want to get that involved. Living here in the rust belt and this car being a daily driver for the first 7-8 years of it's life, guess I'm not surprised. I'm sure what I saw was only the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure I'd have many regrets bringing this one home. I've often said it, you just can't beat a deep Southern car. My '62 (Alabama) and '64 (Louisiana) Impalas were rust free when I bought them. Maybe a little light surface rust on one of the floor pans, which went away when I used a wire wheel on it. Having them, really spoiled me. So, I'll continue to look. No great rush and I really don't need another car. If something jumps out at me, that would be fine. If not, that's ok too. BTW, it's freakin' cold here. Twelve degrees this morning. Did I ever mention how much I hate :splat:splat:splat Winters here, Carmine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds like a $3500 car now, and then only if you're a Pontiac nut. However that's probably "rust free" for a mid-atlantic car.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You know Mike, I was so disappointed, I never even considered making an offer. I was afraid that whatever I said she would accept and I'd be stuck with it. I just don't want to mess around with rust like that again. I'm spoiled with my last couple of purchases. So, I'll keep looking and see where it takes me. No biggie, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Listen to this. Talk about a scammer. In my quest for a '57 Pontiac, I checked many sites and came across one that really piqued my interest. Body off frame restoration. Beautiful turquoise paint and new interior. This thing was super nice. Probably a $20,000.00 plus car. The owner was asking $9600.00. Hmm...............................It was also located in Rochester, NY, which I think is about 3 hrs. from me. I asked for additional pics which were sent to me along with an explanation. I was told the car was presently in Portland, Oregon. The "owner" said he had it shipped there and was going to ship it to Japan where a friend was going to buy it. Some type of medical issue developed and the deal was never consummated. He said he was some type of engineer and couldn't show me the car because he had been called to an oil rig. He claims that he has a shipping company which also offers an escrow account to protect the "seller and buyer". BTW, shipping is included in the purchase price which now brings the car down to $7600.00. I thanked him for the pics and asked for some additional things. I wanted to know the exact address/location of the car because I was hiring a professional inspection company to examine the car. I also wanted a clear title in hand to also be examined at that time, along with the name of his representative showing the car. Well, this was 2 days ago and I haven't heard back. Didn't expect to. This isn't a good story/scam. Not the least bit believable. Do people really fall for this BS?? My mother raised a fat kid, not a dumb one. I would never do business with this guy or any like conditions. I would love to know where this scammer lives. Can't put in writing what I think might happen to him. Just a shame that there are people out there trying to rip you off. Buyer beware as usual, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I also just sent an email to the site that advertises this vehicle. I don't think they really care. Just take the money and run. Sad. I suppose every once in a while, someone gets sucked up in this nonsense, Carmine.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That same engineer contacted me and was on the oil rig but he was sending a CHECK.

I as you feel very sorry for the folks that aren't vigilant too these scammers as it's all over the local and soical media with warnings but there is still folks being sucked in and costing them $$$$$$ by these scammers.

I get them from ebay and craigslist too include the microsoft, IRS and credit card calls.

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Isn't it terrible though. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, many out there are much brighter (no comments needed :laugh2). But, I know enough with my limited intelligence, not to get involved with these people. I'm sure some smart ones fall prey. I feel bad for them when they do. Hard earned money, gone. I'm sure we would all like a bargain; a good deal. But, we have to be reasonable. When something sounds to good to be true, it's probably because it is bogus. With this car, it was the condition it was in for the price. Just not going to happen for that. That was the first red flag among others. Once I got his first message, I knew right away this guy was a penis brain scammer. What something like this does, it makes me less trusting of others on the internet. If I find something, it forces me to see it in person myself or hire a professional inspector/appraiser. I skated once with sight unseen, when I bought my '64 SS. When I bought my '62 Impala, I hired a company to look at it. I wasn't going to roll the dice again. Even with that, trying to cover all the bases, I wasn't comfortable until it arrived out front. It also makes me want to fly to where it is, buy it, rent a U-haul trailer and truck, and bring it home with me. Think I would sleep better, Carmine.