NSCA Thompson Drag Raceway.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
12.6@107mph, running in to head wind. Lost in first round to red light. May be 11s in this thing!

Attachments

• normal_IMG_2990 Thompson NSCA.jpg
    normal_IMG_2990 Thompson NSCA.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 85

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:clap :clap :cheers

GREAT GOING RAY !!!!:clap

I best get to work on my `62 !! You are getting too close !! ,,dq

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thompson

Just a quick note, Gerry Gostinek went out in the first round. Don't know why or what happened. I won my first round. The other guy in a Fairlane got the wrong time posted on his lane, and he broke out by 2.5 seconds. He was supposed to have a 9.75 class, but they had him in a 12.75 class. He wanted to rerun it, but when you stage, you accept the time they have posted on the tree. If it is wrong, you don't stage the car. He did, so he lost. Next round, I had a 65 Chevelle to run. He was a 9.50 car, and had been running 9.50 and 9.51 most of the time. I got him on the tree, but at the end, I saw he couldn't make the time up. I hit the brakes, and he passed me just after the line. However, I went 11.725 instead of 11.75. I broke out anyway.
Denny won his first round, but had the same thing happen on the second. He was running the 10.75 class, and went 10.74 and got beat that way. Hard to take, but that's this new style of racing.
Bob Walla did not make it. He had a family reunion or something like that. DondD didn't make it, either. Valerie McCombs went to the final in her 62 409. She ran a good time, but got treed. The guy that beat her just got lucky. She had a good light, but he had a great light.
All in all, we had a great time. Stayed at Ray Barnhart's ( fatride ) house. Beautiful place. Had 2 good meals. That's about all I can tell at this time. Might think of some other stuff later.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the results, Fred. Im sure the guy in the Fairlane was mad, but there is another way to look at it. If you had red-lit... he wins, even with the wrong dial in. Thats racing. Some people dislike this form of racing, and I totally understand that, but a guy can stay at home, or get used to index racing and enjoy the oppurtunity of competition. Watching those lights come down is too doggone much fun to stay at home. I have noticed some mentioning Valeries driving skills in the past. Is she a member of our forum? Hope you guys do better next time, and btw when is the next race??

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ronnie, Valerie and Jim were on here at one time. Not sure if they look in from time to time or not. She has a fast 409, though. and, she is tough on the lights. I beat her once, but it was pure luck. Had a .005 light. Not anxious to try her again, though.
Next race is Martin, Michigan, US 131 in September, 9-10.
This type of racing takes some getting used to. Not like the old days. Never could go too fast back then.

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
hey how about this!!!!

There is a MANDRA event at Beaver Springs Labor day weekend.
Just an idea I thought I would throw out there.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Sounds like everybody had a good time.:cheers I wish I could have been there too.

Fatride, way to go with that 12.6:beerbang That car's working great!

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
SS425HP said:
Ronnie, Valerie and Jim were on here at one time. Not sure if they look in from time to time or not. She has a fast 409, though. and, she is tough on the lights. I beat her once, but it was pure luck. Had a .005 light. Not anxious to try her again, though.
Next race is Martin, Michigan, US 131 in September, 9-10.
This type of racing takes some getting used to. Not like the old days. Never could go too fast back then.

Fred,I sure hope you guys can make the Martin Michigan race,me and Sue will be there we live about 40 miles from the track.Quickshifter lives about 70 miles from the track and I'll send Shan a PM to see if he can make the trip :dunno

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thompson, Ohio

The Nostalgia Super Stock runner up. A good, quick, car. She went to the final at Thompson. She got treed to lose, but the guy had to guess. She had a good light, he was just a little quicker on the tree. She ran closer to her dial class. Think she was in the 10.50 class.
Good car, but good people, too. Val and Jim are alright.