Nubs or not

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Do the 63 steel wheels have the four little nubs around the edge of the rim, like to hold a wheel cover on? I've seen some with the four nubs and some with two little ones near the valve stem. Which is correct for 63?
Ross

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
not correct!!

Basically, 1961 was the last year that the hubcaps were retained by the nubs. 1962 had the grippers, for lack of a better term, that dug into the inner edge of the rim to hold the hubcap on.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
1959 to 61 14" rims had the nubs? I've owned original 1960, 61 and I definitely don't recall any nubs on the rims. In fact my 61 definitely has no nubs. I just spoke with a friend with an original 59, he has two 59 Impala hubcaps with the pointed grippers and two with out which would require nubs on the rims! Is it possible that they made those both ways during those years??????

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
1959 to 61 14" rims had the nubs?

As Phil said, they used the nubs through '61. I've seen some '61 wheel covers that had grippers but they were aftermarket wheel covers. Too my knowledge, all of the factory caps had the ridge around them which required the nubs to hold them on.
I've never seen a '61 wheel that didn't have nubs.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
1959 to 61 14" rims had the nubs?

As Phil said, they used the nubs through '61. I've seen some '61 wheel covers that had grippers but they were aftermarket wheel covers. Too my knowledge, all of the factory caps had the ridge around them which required the nubs to hold them on.
I've never seen a '61 wheel that didn't have nubs.

And I've never seen a 61 wheel with nubs! I have a 69K mile orig 1961 Impala. Orig spare tire. All the hubcaps and rims definitely do not have nubs and are original. As I stated above, my friend has 4 1959 Impala hubcaps, 2 with grippers and two without for nub style rim. I'm wondering if they made two styles, kind of like the 1 piece bumpers vs 3 piece bumbers from different OEM suppliers.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
my 61 was built the last week of May and I believe has 3 original wheels and they were with nubs. All 61 hubcaps I have picked up were for nubs to retain them.
Robert

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the help, guys!:clap It looks like 63 has no nubs! The nubs are important if you need them. The 61 I had didn't have the original wheels. I couldn't keep the wheel covers on that car to save my life!! It's really discouraging when you pull away in a car you've owned for 5 minutes and two of the wheel covers are spinning, FACE DOWN, in the middle of the street, on brand new SS spinners!!:mad:
Ross

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
my 61 was built the last week of May and I believe has 3 original wheels and they were with nubs. All 61 hubcaps I have picked up were for nubs to retain them.
Robert

This item really caught my attention when I called my friend. I knew he had a set of really nice 59 Impala hubcaps. Two have grippers and two have the nub type strip. Around here in SoCal I have always heard people say 58 was the last year. I had a 60 Impala years ago and I'm positive the caps had grippers. When I sell my disc brake kits once in awhile some one will want to use factory hubcaps. The orig steel rims rub so many will change to rallys and still pop their hubcaps on. The only way those hubcxaps would stay is with grippers. I really wonder if both were made but that would seem too expensive at the time?????

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
1958 delivery
This has been an interesting post. After reading Phil's and Tommy's posts again I think were are dealing with a change after the production cars were built and aftermarket and quite possibly later after production over the counter caps had grippers because they would fit on nub wheels or without nubs. I hope to visit the 61 wagon in the weeds this weekend and I know it is unmolested and has the original wheels so I will check for nubs for sure.
I have several 61 hubcaps that I have collected because I check out each one I see to determine if it is better then mine. I usually buy some because I can't remember if it is better then mine until I get it home:roll Anyway I haven't seen a gripper 61 hubcap!!
Robert

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am starting to doubt myself. I am going to double check my 61, it's in storage so it may take me a week. I'll also look at my friends 59 hubcaps that he says has two with grippers. I am very certain that no one ever re-produced GM quality 59 or 61 Impala hubcaps. Definitely not any that are "exact copies" of the real GM's.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just checked my 61 Bel Air original spare and it has nubs.
Also noted that my 58 Biscayne with all original wheels has no slots-all solid. FWIW