409 Obsolete Missile 1988-01.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 409 Obsolete Missile 1988-02.jpg
    409 Obsolete Missile 1988-02.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 133

RCampbell

Well Known Member
When we all started

The red Belair...Obsolete Missle...was built and raced by Donnie Shaffer from Lexington, MO. The car as equipped with a Z11 top halfed 409. It also included an aluminum front end...one of the fenders was fabricated in Donnie's "Hooterville" shop. The car raced in a Super Chevy match race series against Bill's red 63...also featured. At the time of the Super Chevy feature Donnie's car had been sold to Mike Martin in southern California. Mike owned the car for several years before he sold it to some fellow who had Boyd Cottington restore it....at which time the front end was removed and sold....I don't recall but the motor was probably changed at the same time. Bill eventually sold his car to a party in Canada.....Bill is corresponding in another thread. After selling the red Missle car Donnie built the white 63 Obsolete MissleII. These were the early days of Nostalgia Super Stock racing. In the summer of 1988 a group of us met for the first time to do a Super Stock match race in St. Louis for promoter Len Greco. Present were myself...Don Shaffer...Dave Campbell...Rick Johnson...Jim Whittenburg...and Leroy Fly. At this meeting the Midwest Nostalgia Super Stock Association was formed....and that's how it all began.....I better stop before I tell my age. Phil can fill you in about Tom and Linda's 62.

wburge409@gmail.com

Well Known Member
Remember me?

Russ,
Hey, it's been a while. Do you still own your "Faded Memories" 409 Chevy? I see pictures and parts of my old "Living Legend" car on the archives page. Guess when the Z-11 engine was rebuilt, it was a mess inside. Of course we all beat those engines to death back then. It was worth it when "Miss Linda" came around and posed for the camera. I still have that dog-eared issue of Super Chevy magazine that you posted. What's ole Don Shafer been up to? He never could beat me! Tell him I said that. Phil sent me a CD years ago where Don was talking and showing off all his 409 engines. Also see where Don Evans "Golden Rod" car has changed hands a few times. Bought my 1st issue of Hemmings Motor News after 20 years today. Not many 409 cars or parts listed. I'm attending the 409 meet at Thompson in June as it's only an hour from our Lake Erie cottage. Still have my '67 Corvette I bought new. Spend the winters in Ft. Myers and will be heading back to Ohio May 7th. Thanks for listening. Wild Bill

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Bill...You're thinking of Dave Campbell with the Faded Memories car. Dave sold his car a year or so back. In that time frame we had two cars at different times...Tijuana Taxi 62 biscayane....and Good Vibrations 62 belair. What do you mean.....Donnie relives those races everytime I talk to him. He always wins...I don't think Donnie ever remembers a race he lost! Donnie's fine. He has the motor out the 63 to freshen it....but says he won't come to Thompson. I wish he would....it'ld be fun. We just sold our belair race car to Dick Mackensie...he'll be at Thomson. As I think back I do remember owning a red dually and trailer carrying the Living Legend name.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Russ...I don't remember too much about Donnie's 62. But..........am familiar with the white 63 Obsolete Missle. Now....I KNOW Donnie is old and so I have always referred to his 63 with a more appropriate name.............the Obsolete Muscle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:cool::cool:

Donnie autographed this picture for me. KCIR Oct. 18, 1997 9.97ET 136MPH 1.35 60' 3550 pounds NO NITROUS!!!! I think he was the first full bodied 409 in the 9's!!!!!!!

Attachments

• obsoletemissle.jpg
    obsoletemissle.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 99

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 1963 Chevy Obsolute Missle car has recently been for sale.I think Dick can tell about the set up of the car,rear ,suspension,engine,????? or Phil can tell you the rest about it.I had some great pictures of it,but some how they have been erased from my computer.The car has been on CRaig's list at least 2 maybe 3 times.. John

RCampbell

Well Known Member
What do you want to know? The white car was built in the late 80's. It's always been period fast. The motors have all been done by Donnie's brother, Tony, at Day Automotive in Independance,MO. Several of you know Tony...several have done business with him. Tony did our first serious race motor...453 in...finally ran high 10.20's. The car is a stick shifted Jerico 4 spd...clutch assisted. The rear is olds. The car weighs just over 3500#...has run 9.80's....as I recall with 440 in and Z11 heads. Donnie will tell you that he built the car in his "Hooterville" shop and he did. The chassis has seen extensive rework and does a nice job. The car is best described as a period "home built" car. I wouldn't change a thing about it. Period race cars are the popular thing. The motor is currently out of the car at Day Automotive to be freshened....440 in with 690 heads. The car has been periodically offered for sale....and is currently. I believe he's asking $40K. We've been trying to get the car to Thompson....but Donnie says he's too busy. He does have a customer project in his shop...a 62 belair sport coupe....Z11 top....aluminum front end car (the same front end that was on the red Obsolete Missile 1. Donnie says he might take the car to the KC Reunion show this fall. Interested in buying the car? 660 259 2964 Be persistent he's sometimes hard to get on the phone.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Be persistent he's sometimes hard to get on the phone.

And have to have at least 4 HOURS available to talk. You will say "Hi.... I'm so and so and want to talk to you about your car" and you will say "goodbye" and Donnie will fill in the 4 hours in between!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll:roll:roll:roll:rollRight Dick??? Right Russ??????????? Right Gordon????????????:dunno:dunno:dunno

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil.I've heard the story from Dick,You are absolutely right about filling in the 4 hours.He said he almost missed his flight out when he went to visit to see the car.He said Donnie is a great guy ,but he really enjoys telling the interesting stories. JOHN

RCampbell

Well Known Member
I just had Donnie on the phone. He admitted he was a motor mouth.....but it was a 2 hour call. Don't start the man on cars...politics...guns...or the 1960's.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Hey Dick....This is off the subject but remember when we left Rusty's the other day and we were teasing him about sending the American Pickers to "pick" him? Guess who called the business while we were at Rusty's....our local Convention Visitor Bureau...the American Pickers show had called and were coming to Branson....and did we know of anyone they could pick. We had several....seems that the Pickers will be at my house on the 29th! "If I'm lying...I'm dying". ( 90% certain...yes, it could fall throught) We might get them to Rusty's to "pick" a mystery motot yet.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Sounds like a plan Russ! Think they will know what a Mystery Motor is? Rusty will flip when they pull up! :roll :roll